Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BNC monitor

Hi,

I have a BNC connector on my monitor, and I'd like to know if the image quality would be better than the 15 pins one on my G400.

Spazm
    P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

BNC cables will provide a better image which is more noticeable with larger monitors. The reason is less noise is introduced due to keeping the signals physically separated.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

ok, I have a viewsonic P810 monitor (21 inch.).... do you think I should change my 15 pins to a BNC for that monitor?

Spazm
      P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

Comment

Yes. I notice the difference on my 17" NEC. Don't get a cheap one. I also like metal screw heads on the VGA connector.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Isn't BNC an outdated connector? If it is superior, why do present day top-of-the-line monitors use the standard SVGA?

If the problem with SVGA is interference, wouldn't a well-shielded SVGA cable do the trick?

Comment

Isochar, the improved bandwidth of a BNC cable is better than that of a SVGA (TTL rgb) type. SVGA cables are cheaper to make and have the DDC link, that's why they are normally used.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

That's also why most 15 pin cables are captive (attached to the monitor).

To make a non-captive connection requires that little bit more time and effort which increases cost.
              Phils PC Mods - a rough guide

Comment

OK, I'll ask a stupid question here. Everyone says BNC cables are better, because they have better shielding, higher bandwidth, etc. But the BNC cables I have seen are just like a typical VGA cable, except real close to the monitor end they break out into the multiple cables for the multiple bnc inputs on the monitor. So the varius signals are still next to each other in the same cable for 90% of the run. You can say "yeah, but they are individually shielded", but do we know the individual conductors within a standard VGA cable aren't individually shielded? I wouldn't even be surprised if the signals then join up again as soon as they are back in the monitor. I'm sure I'm missing something here, just want to know what it is. I even bought a BNC cable a couple of weeks ago, but haven't even taken it out of the bag yet (building a server, going to use the DB15/BNC switching of my monitor to make it serve dual purpose).

Just curious about WHY they are better.

[This message has been edited by Darin (edited 01 November 2000).]

Comment

Darin, BNC construction uses larger diameter coax cable for each color. Coax functions as a low pass filter. Larger the diameter the greater the highend responce in terms of overall bandwidth and transient responce. Within each SVGA (TTL rgb) and BNC cable, each color coax IS individuly shielded, some are double and even triple shielded!
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Greebe, thanks for taking the time to reply. So, from what I understand you to be saying is that the individual cables in a BNC cable have thicker insulation between the core and the shield, which affects the capacitance such that higher frequencies are attenuated less(?) Even though I haven't closely examined my new cable, I did notice that it appeared thicker than a standard video cable (at the point where it was all one cable). If my understanding is correct, then obviously the benefits would be more apparent at higher resolutions & refresh rates.

If you can humor me a bit more (I apparently have a lot of pent up BNC curiosity).... Obviously the signal for a BNC cable is the same for a VGA cable (it goes through no converter, just the cable & connections change). So the next obvious question (at least to me) is what prevents us from using the thicker coaxial construction in a standard VGA cable, but leaving the 15 pin connector on both ends? And what prevents someone from using the cheaper cable with BNC connectors on one end? I guess I'm just a bit confused by the semantics here. To me, the the one item that differentiats a BNC cable is the BNC connectors. Obviously the connectors themselves can't be making a whole lot of difference since we are still limited to the 15 pin connector at the video card end. If the real difference from a performance perspective is the quality of the cable itself, what is it that ensures that we are getting that cable when we buy a "BNC" cable? Is it just common practice for cable manufacturers to use better cable on the BNC variety, but not on the 15 pin variety? If that's the case, then it seems like it would be VERY important to know a lot about the cable manufacturer, and the specs of the cable you are buying (often very elusive information), or you could be buying from someone who just slapped some BNC connectors with the same cable construction as any other VGA cable, which should yield no performance increase.

Maybe I'm still missing something here, but this still seems to be a somewhat grey issue, because the terminology describes an aspect of the cable which would appear to have no impact on the performance. I guess I'd feel so much better about this if it were like SVHS vs. Composite video cables. In that comparison, the signal IS different. The chominance and luminance signals are separate from within each component you are connecting, and the two signals travel down separate shielded paths. An SVHS cable is handling two individual signals individually vs. composite that is handling them over the same wire.

I know I'm making too big of a deal about this, but I just like to understand these things. You never find much concrete information on this issue.

[This message has been edited by Darin (edited 01 November 2000).]

Comment

Well, a lot of this is going over my head, so don't be too harsh if I'm getting the wrong picture...

Following what Darin said that the difference between BNC and the SVGA cable is the insulation of the individual wires inside the BNC Cable...

why don't some manufacturer's make their high end models have better insulated SVGA cables? or do they?

ie. Sony E200 has decent SVGA cable, G200 has excellent, etc...

Comment

I just noticed another bnc thread at Anand Tech: http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...hreadid=265828

I posted a message there that includes links to the cables I bought for $12 in case anyone is interested.

Comment

My Sony 400PS has BNC connectors on the back. After reading some info here, I've decided to get a BNC cable and see for myself. What is a good BNC cable, and how much does it cost? I remember someone mentioned Monster Cable in another thread.

Comment

I don't know to much about BNC cables, but I can't notice any difference between a 15 pin-D and my BNC on my Sony GDM-F500 21"/G400MAX setup. IMHO

As far as Monster Cable is concerned, they do make excellent shielded products, all of my home stereo equipment uses Monstor Cable. Sure doesn't seem to hurt.

Comment

Im useing BNC kabel on my PHILIPS 107P10 & I have to say the difference is not wery big..maybe the picture is more clearer & the colors more vibrant....but..well dont knowe, the thing looks same with D-SUB cabel to me , still in the monitors manual says to use BNC connectors for BEST PERFORMANCE so Im useing them..
                              PIII650@806(fsb@124),ASUS P3B-F,128mb,Matrox Mill-G400 32SH,SB.Live!vlue ,IntelliMouse Explorer

Comment

Working...
                              X