Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know anything about this card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know anything about this card?

I found this on Price watch and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it.

Matrox SVGA Video Card 4MB,AGP
    ==========================
    Matrox made for Compaq
    4 MB SDRAM Installed
    Standard AGP Interface
    Matrox Chipset # LGA-2164WA-B
    Bulk Packaged, No Drivers Included
    Plug-N-Play under Win95/98

at this website, http://www.cpusolutions.com/pw.htm

Thanks, Jeff
    Workstation Specs:
    Pentium 4 2 GHz, ASUSTek P4T-E i850, 1024 MB PC800 RDRAM, ATi Radeon 8500 64m, Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer, 3Com 3C905TX-C NIC, Western Digital 80g ATA100 HD, Sony 16x/40x DVD-ROM, Sony CD-RW 175S/C, 19" Sony 420GS, and Windows XP Pro.

I believe that's an old OEM compaq version of the MillenniumII. Great 2D card for it's time, still a very good 2D card today. Very limited D3D, no OpenGL.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

So, I could add a Matrox m3D and have one sweat 3D rendering machine...or stick it in a little secondary server I was thinking about building.

Thanks for the info.

JP
      Workstation Specs:
      Pentium 4 2 GHz, ASUSTek P4T-E i850, 1024 MB PC800 RDRAM, ATi Radeon 8500 64m, Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer, 3Com 3C905TX-C NIC, Western Digital 80g ATA100 HD, Sony 16x/40x DVD-ROM, Sony CD-RW 175S/C, 19" Sony 420GS, and Windows XP Pro.

Comment

Ummm...well I wouldn't call an M3D a "sweet" rendering device these days. It won't do much for todays games. But the Mill2 would be good in a server
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

You aren't going to buy that are you?
          C:\DOS
          C:\DOS\RUN
          \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

As a matter of fact, I have that exact card in my hands right now. Compaq spare part number 296676-001. As stated above, it is a Millenium II.

If it's an AGP video card made for a Compaq, don't buy it. There is an excellent chance it will not fit in your computer (unless it's a Compaq). They use a proprietary AGP form factor.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 28 April 2000).]

Comment

So, Brian R. you don't think it will fit in a standard machine?

Also, I was just trying to make a little funny about adding the m3D an all. I am just looking for a AGP graphics card for a NT box. I thought it might be an Millennium II but was not sure.

However, since Brian thinks it will problably not fit in a non-compaq machine I will look for something else. Unless, seeing as he has one in his hands, he might plunk it into a standard computer and see if it fits and the mystery will be solved.

JP
              Workstation Specs:

Comment

The one you linked to stated it's a standard AGP form. It should fit.
                But be aware that it's not a real AGP card...it can't do AGP texturing. It's also made for HP specifically, so standard Matrox drivers probably won't work on it.

Comment

Kruzin, I'm a bit supprised you think standard Matrox drivers won't work, I've used them with a Compaq badged G200 without any problems.

I don't remember a Compaq model which used and AGP version of the Millenium II. The first models that used AGP were the Deskpro EP's which originally shipped with ATI cards and then G200's on the later models. If it was for an EP then the card should be a standard AGP card and will fit a non Compaq PC. If is not for the EP then I can't see it fitting any other Compaq unless it's one of the Professional Workstations which I'm not that familiar with.
                  When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

The Deskpro 6000 came with AGP Millenium II. The form factor was proprietary. The card would not use Matrox drivers. It locked up the computer. Only Compaq drivers would work on the card.

Jeff - I don't know if the card you are looking at will fit or not. Some of the Millenium II cards will definitely not fit unless you get an adapter to modify the screw-down case fitting. Its not even close. The one I have will not fit a standard ATX case. No way. The picture of the card in the link you provided looks standard and not the proprietary form factor I have. If you get it, get the Compaq drivers and don't try the Matrox ones unless you feel frisky.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 29 April 2000).]

Comment

What the hey, I think I will give it a try. It's not that much and if it doesn't work there is always ebay.

Thanks
                      Workstation Specs:

Comment

Brian R, Thanks for putting me straight

Just out of curiosity the DP 6000 used the same case as the 2000 & 4000 which use a riser card, is the AGP slot on the riser or is there a non-standard height socket on the board?
                        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

The 6000, 4000, and 2000 have the non-standard AGP slot on the MB next to the riser, on the opposite side of the riser from the PCI slots. The AGP card sits approximately above the BIOS reset jumper.

Taz, by the way, when you successfully used the G200 with the Matrox drivers, did you have it in a Compaq or a different brand computer?

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 29 April 2000).]

Comment

Brian R, I was using it in a Compaq Deskpro EP.

Comment

That's interesting. I'm currently installing a G200 into the above DP6000. I'm having trouble with the cursor disappearing under some circumstances (in word processors). I was reluctant to try the Matrox drivers. Your result gives me confidence to try the drivers Matrox tech support requested I try.

What version of the drivers did you successfully use?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 30 April 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                              X