• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Amiga fans around?

Anyone has any info on this?

AmigaOne Announced [13:20 PDT] -New Message Boards- -News Only-
    By MC_WildStyle - ale@emuhq.com - UIN: 55899810

In Melbourne, Australia today Amiga announced the first new Amiga hardware in over 6 years... The AmigaOne.

Amigas first consumer product, will be targeted at the desktop and workstation market. All these new products will run a single piece of software, the revolutionary Amiga Digital Environment(DE). Here are the zico specs for this new machine:

o One AmigaDE friendly host processor (PPC, x86, Arm, SH4, MIPS)
    o 64MB+ memory
    o Next Generation Matrox graphics card
    o Creative EMU10K1 based audio card
    o 10 GB+ HD
    o CD/DVD
    o USB 1.0
    o Firewire
    o 10/100 Mbps Ethernet
    o 56k modem
    o Spare PCI slots for expandibility

Sounds pretty nifty and it could mean that the Amiga will be back in the running against the PC and the Mac! - to read more click your mouse here
    http://www.amiga.com/products/one/pr.shtml

Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Seems like the graphics chip, could be interpreted to mean the G450 as well. Couldn't it? They did shrink the die and add the secondary RAMDAC on chip. Either way, it looks like it might be one heck of a business computer.

Comment

Amiga building a business computer, what a hoot!
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

The G450 being "Next Gen"???? Not bloody likely

Comment

Well about the tv-tuner part in the Matrox Fusion whatever.

The brooktree chipset (now conexant) that is used in many tv-cards (bt8xx) is named 'Fusion'.

Just search for 'fusion' on the site
          www.conexant.com

Comment

That's just a coincidence Dutchman
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I was a bit puzzled by this "next generation" thing, but forgot to follow up with Bill McEwen before he disappeared. It could well just be Amiga Speak describing a G4x0 card relative to existing Amiga hardware.
              BTW - there are a couple of strings to the bow with the new Amiga direction.
              There is the Amiga One hardware described above, and there is the Amiga Digital Environment.
              The Amiga DE is a layer between the Amiga software and the underlying hardware/OS.
              In essence you write all your s/ware to run on a mythical risc32 processor, and there is a wedge or whatever that _translates_ (the emphasis was that this is not emulation) the binary code to the underlying system. Faster than a JVM - Java approach it was claimed. The wedge (I forget what Bill called this layer) is a mere 16K for Linux and most others, 88K for Windoze. There is a host of platforms either available or under porting.
              Dedicated speed freaks can of course go fully native, but it is seen that the DE will give better time to market covering a wide range of platforms at one hit.

Also announced were PPC cards for the A1200 and A4000.

Comment

This is how it works:

You code and compile like normal, so you can use Assembler, C, C++, Java, Python etc. And it runs like any other OS runs stuff, however the binarys are saved in a special format which on loading is dynamicly changed into the code for the matching CPU. Despite what people think this is 100% full speed. Not slow like Java. So you dont notice the difference.
                However, although this seems odd, there are some seriously cool advantages...

1) The codes smaller than normal binarys as the Virtual Processor format doesnt need to sotre as much information. In some cases the code is half the size.
                2) All your apps will work even if you upgrade to a 100% different machine include new CPU.
                3) It uses FAR less ram as only whats needed of the EXEs are loaded into ram, as small as 1k. This means you need signifigantly less ram for common applications.
                4) Matrox is one of Amigas partners so you get leet matrox drivers, no hassle
                5) You can use a machine with 2+ cpus that are different types!!! That means PPC and x86 for example. It multiprocesses with them even on the same app.
                6) Vector Sound, Interactive MP3 and DirectX speed OpenGL are all standard.
                7) Works on a cellphone up.

Can you say Impressive?

Oh did I mention theres 60+ games already being made for it?

Comment

For an old amiga freak this is just wonderful. I went over to pece as late as '98, and have never been too happy about it. Guess where my salery is going when/if this shows up =).

/Happy Hamlet

------------------
                  Athlon 800@1GHz/MSI 6167/128mb/7200rpm UD66/SB128/G400Max/Win98/Win2k/RH6.2/Be5
                  Athlon 800@1GHz/MSI 6167/256mb/7200rpm UD66/SB128/G400Max/Win98/Win2k/RH6.2/Be5

Comment

Originally posted by Himself:
                    Same deal as BitBoys.
                    Not exactly ...

Amiga Announces the AmigaOne
                    In an announcement from the Alternative Computing Expo in Melbourne Australia, Amiga today announced plans for its new specification of computers that host the Amiga Digital Environment. Read More or visit the AmigaOne web site.
                    Want to Know What Amiga is All About?
                    So the world may know, Amiga is sharing the vision of the new Amiga Digital Environment by revealing precisely its important purpose, amazing advantages, and exciting future. Read More

MeterNet Teams with Amiga to Build Simplebox Internet Devices for Broadband
                    New, Easy-to-Use, All Solid State Internet Appliance Products Powered By the Next Generation Amiga include streaming and Java support. Read More.

Amiga President Addresses the Community
                    Bill McEwen addresses Amiga Digital Environment business opportunities, multimedia additions to the Amiga Software Development Kit, and the AmigaOne in this latest Executive Update.

First Wildfire, Now Taifun
                    Get ready for the new high-end in video and animation special effects. WK Artworks, creators of the much-acclaimed Wildfire effects software, is developing the new state of the art--Taifun--only for the Amiverse. Read More.

Hyperion Entertainment is Bringing the Coolest Games to the New Amiga
                    Renowned game developer Hyperion, who brought Heretic II to Amiga, has announced a long-term partnership with Amiga to bring leading-edge game titles to the Amiverse. Read More.

IBM DeveloperWorks Gives Amiga Software Development Kit a Thumbs Up
                    In the second part of a series at the IBM DeveloperWorks Linux Library, the Amiga SDK is examined. The piece exposes the raw cross-platform power of the new Amiga Digital Environment. Read More.

Ruksun Software Technologies Joins Forces with Amiga
                    The progressive software firm is taking advantage of Amiga's hardware-agnostic Digital Environment in porting its two flagship products, Messenger Force and IMAP Force. Read More.

Amiga Works with Red Hat to Provide the Foundation of the New Digital Content Universe
                    Amiga and Red Hat are working together to provide the foundation for exciting games and consumer content for the desktop, set-top-box, game console, and handheld markets. Read More

Amiga and Infomedia Network Announce Strategic Relationship for New Interactive Set-top Boxes
                    The two firms announced their intent to deliver the Amiga and its content on a new line a broadband interactive products. These products include the first easy-to-use, low-cost consumer Internet and Entertainment gateway. Read More.

Matrox and Amiga Form Strategic Partnership
                    The acclaimed graphics hardware manufacturer is joining forces with Amiga to make the Amiverse experience the definitive graphical experience ever. Read More.

Software Developers' Kit Frequently Asked Questions
                    Find answers about the Amiga SDK, Amiga graphics, and other Amiga issues using Amiga's new FAQ-o-matic.
                    Now when did BitBoys any sort of cooperation ?

Look here for more details ... http://www.amiga.com/
                    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                    LG BH10LS38
                    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Listen guys, this kind of thing has been announced over and over again for the last 5 years or so. Ignore it until there is something available you can *buy*!
                      You can buy the SDK, a new version of which should be released within the week or so. Also some STBs will be available for sale in December and Amigas already shown a cellphone and a new ARM machine called the prospector running. All you need is a PC to run the stuff, so technicaly, its all go.

Comment

Maggi,

Let's just say, I am very sceptical.
                        I know what you mean and you surely got your points there, but this times it seems to get real (finally) and having in mind that a representative from Amiga saw a G800 in action makes it even more concrete to me.

Anyways, I hope this new concept seriously kicks some butts and maybe I will be able to revive my old A1230/882 with a spiffy PPC board or something ...

Cheers,
                        Maggi

OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                        LG BH10LS38
                        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Maggi,
                          Let's just say, I am very sceptical. The Amiga has always had tons of companies offering their support, they've generally always had some form of SDK being offered, I don't see anything new here, well, maybe if they have get a STB finally out, that's new, they've only been talking about it for half a decade, if not longer. Mainly though, I see a bit of different text, lots of nice dreams, but I would wait for something more concrete before getting excited about it.
                          As a matter of fact, no SDK has ever been released after Commodore till now.

Comment

Originally posted by TB:
                            As a matter of fact, no SDK has ever been released after Commodore till now.
                            Sorry TB, but that was wrong ...

Look here and here.

Himself,

I surely hope they stay backwards compatible, but imo they should approach that on an emulation base so that they could fully benefit from modern hard- & software.

Cheers,
                            Maggi

OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                            Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                            LG BH10LS38
                            LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

/me looks under the desk at the 14 or so shoeboxes filled with Amiga games

Cool

I haven't been paying much attention to all the Amiga announcements...mainly because nothing came of the first dozen or so of them. If this one bears fruit I'll probably end up with another Amiga sharing space with my other boxen.
                              Games Box
                              --------------
                              Windows 2000Pro, ASUS A7Pro, Duron 750@950, 192MB Micron PC133, OEM Radeon DDR, 15gb Quantum Fireball+ LM, Fujitsu 5.25gb, Pioneer 32x slot load CDROM, SB Live! Value, LinkSys LNE100, Altec Lansing ACS45.2, Samsung Syncmaster 955DF, Sycom 300va UPS

Video Box
                              ------
                              Windows 2000Pro, PIII700 on ASUS CUBX, 256mb Micron PC133, Vanilla G400/32 (PD5.14), Hauppage WinTV-DBX, LinkSys LNE100, 8.4gb Maxtor HD, 40gb 7200 Western Digital, Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer 32x SCSI Slot load CDROM, Pioneer 10x Slot load DVD, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Panasonic Panasync S70

Feline Tech Support
                              -------------
                              Jinx the Grey Thundercat, Mischa (Shilsner?)(still MIA)

...currently working on the world's first C64 based parallel computing project

Comment

Working...
                              X