X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !#!$ Timeline P/B on Msp5.2 w/RR long projects

Hi,
    I have a ? about timeline playback
    it works great, but I seem to keep having this problem over and over.
    I have a video project that I trimmed down into 2-parts (30 mIn)@ full Ntsc 704x480 res.
    I have a 9gb Atlas II drive for A/v
    a 6 gb for sys.
    sys has average 1.6gb free and 1.8 free on A/v drive.
    I use c:\ (sys drive for temp prev files) that the NLE software renders like trans etc.
    after rendering my project i uses roughly 1gb off my c:\ for these prev using effects, transitions and titles then I play everything right of the timeline.
    Everything works great except that when I get to about 3/4 of the video it begins to pixalate not (Artifacts) but lines sort of like aliase around video.
    No effects involved just simple clip playing.
    I noticed that the clip also plays ok when ever a scene appears darker.
    Could it be the contrast or brightness level of which I captured that clip?.
    If I were to play the clip from the .avi file it seems OK, but when played from my project using the timeline it starts to pixalate.

I've checked the field order
    size and frame rate and it all appears fine.
    Any suggestions
    Maybe I'm going to have to recapture that clip again.
    In case you were wondering I tryied setting the temp file for prev on the same a/v drive w no luck.

thanks in advance,
    Cut ter

This could be just an artifact of television. Whenever you watch a title on TV (or better yet, a test pattern), watch for the dotted lines at the edges of strong colors. This is known as "dot crawl."

Now, PowerDesk used to have settings for filtering that sort of thing, but I don't have any clue where those options are in the newer verions... (Anybody remember? Those check boxes like "Reduce Flickering" and such?) I recall putting the color bars on the screen, then checking one of the checkboxes and seeing the dot crawl stop-- still a dotted line, but not crawling anymore.

Comment

I have a questions for you..

1-Does the problem happen at the same exact time when you play it back from the timeline? because you could be experiencing what we call the "Evil frame syndrome" where a bad frame atually causes the field order to flip from a to b or vice versa.
      What you can do in this case is locate that frame and delete it from the timeline then playback and see what happens.

Clips that were captured at high contrast could exhibit the problems your mentioning.
      Also you didn't specify what type of hardware your using or the driver version/system specifications (not in detail though), it could help us understand your problem better.

Please goto This Idiots "Tips and Tricks" page for more info.

Regards,
      Elie

Comment

One thing that I've found with MSP is that it has a very short memory for clip properties. I often find that it will take, for instance, a 704x480 clip and slip back to a 352x240 size in Properties if I go back to redo a title or an overlay. If I check under FILE-Properties, I'll find the wrong size, and I will have to reset it to the correct size. Otherwise, the rendered title or overlay section temp file will have pixelation caused by the effect only being 1/4 the size of the original clip...

It took me a while to figure out that this was going on, but ever since it's just been second nature to resolve this short term memory loss that MSP has with it.

You can easily see if this is your problem by re-visiting the offending titles or overlays, as if you wanted to modify them, and probably find the size has inexplicably shrunk within the options for the effect.

Comment

Model Matrox Mystic
          Accelerator 1164sg
          Memory 4mb
          Memory type sglvttl 8mbits
          RAMDAC 220mhz

Feature Rainbow Runner (Add on)
          VGA BIOS 1.0 RR TV
          Display Driver Ver 4.11.01.4310
          VDD Ver 4.11.01.4310
          Matrox Power Desk Ver 4.31.041
          Direct Draw/Direct3d driver ver 4.11.01.4310

Microsoft DirectX Ver DirectX 6.0

Yes it always happens with the same exact clip.
          The clip is of a priest @ church & its from thr back row. Above the priest there's a skylight and the camera picked off (Over exposed shot) so I try adjusting that clip with brightness/Contrast till it was ok to me.
          MJpeg being too dark on PC monitor tricked me into thinking the adjustments where Ok when in fact they are too bright.
          This could be it.
          MSP 5.2 is what I used.

Thanks Elie and all of you w/ response.
          Any other tips
          I'll try to delete and re-capture and see what happens.
          Keep yous posted
          Cut ter

Comment

Thank you

I finally went back and re-captured all of the (Bad Clips)that kept giving any prolems during playback. I capture them w/default video settings. It seemed to take care of that problem.

Thanks again all of you.

Comment

Working...
            X