How to disable Pdesk....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to disable Pdesk....

From launching at startup? It slows down my comp terribly. In options it not checked, and I can't get into system information (I'm using WinMe) to disable startup items. That just gives me an error. Anyone know how? Registry maybe?? Thanks..

------------------
    Celeron 366@567 2.2V, 128meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

You could try running msconfig
    Go to the run command under the start menu, type msconfig, and then go to the startup tab

Im not sure if its on ME or not, Ill have a look tonight when I get home

Ali

Comment

It's in winme.

Comment

Sounds like you have more problems. Powerdesk is not a resource hog, and takes little or no cpu cycles. You need to do some basic system troublshooting first to see where your real problem lies. Not being able to access basic windows functions should be your first clue to something is a miss.

Rags

Comment

Thank-you Ali! Msconfig did the trick. Yeah my Pdesk is boned. When I launch it, and then if I try to drag windows across my screen they start to jerk. When I close it, Iit says this program is not responding. Funny though all the functions do work...
          Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

What you might be seeing is a frequent problem with powerdesk. Try searching through the registry for the line 'PDEnable', when you find it change it from "01 00 00 00" to "00 00 00 00".
            Sometimes, even if you disable Powerdesk from startup, it comes back to haunt you when you run display properties. This method might stop the slowdowns you're experiencing with it.

Comment

what to gain by disabling pdisk ?
              1. very few memory and cpu resources. not that much ..
              2. faster boot time. YEP.
              3. more stability and compatibility ?? to be checked and proven ..
              but the question is .. what do u loose ?
              if all functions work as they should .. then what's pdesk ddoing there ?
              can anyone shed a light here please ?
              GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

arbymo, 3. ans, What does PD do?
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

It´s simply a taskbar-resident shortcut program to the driver´s options. Also, it provides icon options, and other stuff.

Comment

If you want an example of what you lose by disabling PD, try going into advanced display properties and click on the DualHead tab..

Just create a shortcut to PDesk.exe on your desktop and run it whenever you need to.

Comment

baby sitting my desktop maybee ??
                      hehehe
                      no really ... waht do u loose if u disable pdesk.exe ?

[This message has been edited by arbymo (edited 27 October 2000).]

Comment

FrankDC : i don't have DH .. just a G200
                        i'll probably do that .. make a shortcut and run it whenver i need it.
                        thanx for the tip

Comment

I loose performance with PD enabled. Ever since 5.41 I think. I have a proggie called StartUp Control Panel. I dunno where to get it anymore tho... Without it all is well.

------------------
                          AsusP3B-F ,iCeleron525(7x75),on Slotket 128megs PC133, G40032megSH, Diamond MX300, 13.5gigs of HD's, 52X CDrom 98SE w/shutdown patch, PD 6.04,Altec Lansing ATP3 Subwoofer system,Envision 17incher,1 grey cat, 1 black cat and 1 calico
                          AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Bohrn : it's not only me then .. i think it started with new drivers .. until the 5.41 it was ok i think .. but with most 6.x drivers i have a consistent cpu utilization of >20-30% and i can't track down to any process .. i've installed the old wintop which comes with kernel toys .. but it shows nothing .. although the system monitor and other resource monitor programs show the cpu utilization ..it starts a while after booting even if i don't run any other program.
                            i tried disabling all my startup programs .. but they showed no difference.

Comment

I have a proggie called StartUp Control Panel. I dunno where to get it anymore tho... Without it all is well.
                              <a href="http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml">Mike Lin</a> made it.

Myself, I just fire up regedit when I want to remove something from automatic startup.

Comment

Working...
                              X