error when saving BIOS to floppy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• error when saving BIOS to floppy

I tried running makedisk.exe in DOS to save off my current G400 Max BIOS onto a boot floppy, in case I screw up a flash in the future.
    Makedisk.exe would run, and then spit out an error message "bad command or filename". It will continue on to write a .bin file to my boot floppy.
    Everything looks fine. Still, what is makedisk.exe doing when that error message comes up? Is it looking for specific exe that's not on my system?
    How can I tell if I have a correct Matrox Emergency disk that makedisk.exe suppose to create?
    Thanks

is your path entered correctly?

Comment

Are you running in DOS or in a DOS VM (window) under Win9x? Don't run it by double-clicking (opening) the .exe file in Windows Explorer.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

What should the PATH statement look like when I run makedisk.exe?

As for runtime environment, I actually boot my system using Win98 boot floppy. Very clean env. May ASPI driver for CD. Other than that, nothing much. I am at work now, so I can't check what are all the setting, but they are pretty minimal.

Comment

Maybe a dumb question, but why don't you use the PBiosWin.exe under windows environment ???

It let's you also generate an emergency disk for your BIOS ...
          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
          Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
          be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
          4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
          2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
          4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
          Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
          LG BH10LS38
          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Not dumb at all! I am new to Matrox's product, so I don't know much about anything

I only find pbios9x.exe and pbiosnt.exe. When I run both of them, I get invald switch error message. I can run ubioswin.exe, but it only has BIOS update. All I want to do is backup my current BIOS. I don't want to do anything else.

If this matter, what I have is 5.52 CD PD install, and then update PD to 6.04 WITHOUT updating other matrox softwares (ie the system softwares)

Thanks for all the lead so far.

K.K.
            Originally posted by Maggi:
            Maybe a dumb question, but why don't you use the PBiosWin.exe under windows environment ???

It let's you also generate an emergency disk for your BIOS ...

Comment

kkfong : just run the ubioswin.exe, check the box, it'll first make a backup disk, after that it'll ask u to program the bios, just click cancel.

GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

Working...
              X