G200 Garbage Screen upon Bootup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G200 Garbage Screen upon Bootup

For months, I have had problems with my Mystique G200 giving me a garbage screen upon Windows bootup after I have shutdown my computer. I have to uninstall the video driver in safe mode, and then re-install it. I must keep my computer on at all times to avoid having to do this again. I have an Athlon Classic 650 on a Biostar M7MKA motherboard. Both my memory and power supply are on AMD's approved list. Does anyone have any clue on how to fix this? The 'techs' at Matrox didn't....

Daryl

Have you tried resoring your card's BIOS with Matrox's BIOS restore utility, or a BIOS crash disk you made?

This would be the first thing to try...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Yeah, I've tried that before -- didn't help at all.

Daryl

Comment

Try these:

- Update your motherboard´s BIOS. (While you´re at it, check the video settings, might be a BIOS video option messing up.
        - Update the G200´s BIOS to the latest version.
        - Format your hard drive.
        - On the next boot, go to the BIOS again and clear the ESCD. (configuration data: windows actually stores and reads IRQs and other information in there)
        - Install Windows again and pray.

If it doesn´t work, 99% chances of the problem being the motherboard or the video card.

Comment

I've updated my motherboard's BIOS, and that had no effect. (Incidentally, I didn't mess with any jumpers after updating it -- should I have? According to the computer, the update was successful.) I've tried the default settings on my BIOS, too, and had no luck with them, either....

<< - Update the G200´s BIOS to the latest version. >>

I have done that, too.

<< - Format your hard drive. >>

I did that when I installed Windows ME.

<< - On the next boot, go to the BIOS again and clear the ESCD. (configuration data: windows actually stores and reads IRQs and other information in there) >>

Well, I never did that.... Would it be too late to do that, now that I've already installed ME? I really don't want to go through reformatting my hard drive again....

<< If it doesn´t work, 99% chances of the problem being the motherboard or the video card. >>

This is my second G200 card with the same problem. I'm thinking that it's a power problem with my motherboard, especially since other Athlon users have experienced this exact same thing (although with other motherboards).

Thank you for replying to my post, though....

Daryl

IP: Logged

Comment

Garbage on your screen?

1. Make sure it´s not a reflection.

2. If not, get a new card.

(sorry, couldn´t help m/s)

Comment

If the chipset is Via have you downloaded the latest drivers?
              Another thing you could try is forcing agp x1 mode by using the registry hacks.
              What are your irq listings by the way?
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

This must be some kind of incompatibility between your G200 and the motherboard. Change one of them.

Like The PIT said, try the latest Via drivers and force AGP1x.

Comment

My motherboard has both an AMD Northbridge and Southbridge chipset, so no VIA patch would work. My G200 card shares IRQ 11 with an ACPI IRQ holder for PCI Steering. I have my Guillemot Fortissimo sound card sharing my WinTV card on IRQ 10.

Daryl

Comment

Well you haven't given us the full list but the what you said sounds okay. So you're now left with forcing agp x1.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                    X