Win98 and Win2000 settings are different

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win98 and Win2000 settings are different

I have Windows 98SE and Windows 2000 set up in a dual boot. Under Windows 98, I can set the display resolution for 1280x1024, but Windows 2000 does not allow this setting. If I uncheck the "Hide modes this monitor cannot display" setting, resolutions above 1024 become available, however trying to actually use one of those settings results in the monitor going into standby mode.

Why can I set a high resolution under Windows 98 while Windows 2000 insists that the same resolution on the same hardware is not available? I'd really like to be able to run my Windows 2000 setup as 1280x1024 or more.

Setup:
    Windows 98 Second Edition/Windows 2000 SP1
    Abit BH6 Pentium II 450, 128M
    Matrox G400MAX DH
    Nanao FlexScan F550i monitor
    SBLive Value, Promise UDMA66 controller, Adaptec 2940UW, Plextor CD-W, Pioneer DVD

Thanks,

Glenn

First off, you don't say which drivers you are using. I highly suggest the 5.14 drivers. Secondly, make sure you have your monitor selected for windows.

Rags

Comment

I'm running 5.10, I'll grab the latest. Yes, Windows is set for the correct monitor. If I set it to Plug and Play monitor, I can select settings above 1024, but they don't work. Setting for the Nanao blocks out anything above 1024.

Thanks,

Glenn

Comment

Okay, I updated to 5.14 and still no go. If I go into Advanced -> Monitor and set the display frequency down to 60Hz, I can set the resolution for 1280x1024, but it's an eyesore. I can run 1280x1024 @ 70 Hz under Windows 98 using the same monitor. So, again why the difference?

Glenn

Comment

Like I said before make sure you have your specific monitor selected in windows. Then if you still have to turn the refresh down, simply goto display properties/Advanced/monitor settings/ and you can customize your refresh rate on that resolution.

Rags

Comment

Again, Windows is set for the correct monitor. If I go into Display Settings and drop the refresh rate to 60Hz, I can set the resolution for 1280x1024. However, I cannot then set the refresh rate back up to 70 or 75Hz. If I leave it at 60Hz, I get a wicked headache.

Windows 98, however, allows me to run 1280x1024 @ 70Hz. I know this monitor works under that refresh rate, however it won't do it under Windows 2000. This, to me, says the drivers aren't working.

Glenn

Comment

That sugests the Win2000 .inf file for your monitor is wrong.

The drivers work, its just doing what the monitor drivers say.

Try another monitor driver that is similar to yours. You shouldnt do any damage, as long as you keep the refresh at a good level.

I use the CTX 2085 .inf for all my monitors. It seems to be very complete.

Works with Panasonic, Viewsonic, and Haitachi monitors that I have.

Ali

Comment

Sorry if I sound like a broken record here, but you really should read my previous post, and try what I suggested, if your monitor supports the refresh rate, then my instructions will work.
                EDIT: Make sure you goto the MONITOR SETTINGS to get the monitor customization, you can increase your refresh rate on hz at a time. Again, this was in my last post.

Rags

[This message has been edited by Rags (edited 25 October 2000).]

Comment

True... use monitor customization. It allows you to do whatever you want...
                  Matrox Millenium P750 bios 1.3 - 12, P4 3Ghz HT 800Mhz, Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 1Gb DDR400 Dual Channel, Dual Seagate 80Gb S-ATA on Intel Raid level 0, Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1302, external Yamaha CD-RW CRW-F1DX on Firewire, Microsoft Natural Elite keyboard, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical, Viewsonic P90F, Viewsonic PF790

Comment

Working...
                  X