Compare singlehead G400 to Geforce2 MX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compare singlehead G400 to Geforce2 MX

Has anyone been able to compare the 2D quality of the Geforce2 MX cards to that of a G400 singlehead.

The G400 is hard to find these days (in real stores) but the Geforce MX cards are everywhere.

Is the 2D quality of these cards comparable to a plain G400?

As long as you don't go higher than 1280x1024 the difference shouldn't be noticeable to an untrained eye, above that the G400 looks better ...

Of course this depends a lot on your monitor too.

Cheers,
    Maggi
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
    LG BH10LS38
    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

I don't run at anything higher than 1280x1024 either, and I can't see a difference between the two.

DS
      Games Box
      --------------
      Windows 2000Pro, ASUS A7Pro, Duron 750@950, 192MB Micron PC133, OEM Radeon DDR, 15gb Quantum Fireball+ LM, Fujitsu 5.25gb, Pioneer 32x slot load CDROM, SB Live! Value, LinkSys LNE100, Altec Lansing ACS45.2, Samsung Syncmaster 955DF, Sycom 300va UPS

Video Box
      ------
      Windows 2000Pro, PIII700 on ASUS CUBX, 256mb Micron PC133, Vanilla G400/32 (PD5.14), Hauppage WinTV-DBX, LinkSys LNE100, 8.4gb Maxtor HD, 40gb 7200 Western Digital, Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer 32x SCSI Slot load CDROM, Pioneer 10x Slot load DVD, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Panasonic Panasync S70

Feline Tech Support
      -------------
      Jinx the Grey Thundercat, Mischa (Shilsner?)(still MIA)

...currently working on the world's first C64 based parallel computing project

Comment

Then make sure to have a real look onto each card so that you won't be disapointed, in case you would notice a difference.
        Imean, theoretical differences are one topic, but your personal subjectiv opinion is the measurement that counts.

As you know already, there are quite a few manufacturers offering an MX these days, but all come out more or less different in quality and performance.

Cheers,
        Maggi

PS: Btw, why do you ask ? Wanna upgrade or just collect opinions ?
        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
        LG BH10LS38
        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

I have a Geforce 256 at work and a G400 at home. I can tell the difference at 1024x768x32.

just my 2 cents.

amish
          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

The plain 32MB G400 is hard to find these days so the only other alternative is the Geforce MX (easy to get).

I have a 19" SONY CPD-G400 sitting there at the store right now along with the rest of my new computer (except for the video card).

I'll be running it at 1280X1024 32bit.

I was just gonna get the G400 until something really amazing/worth buying would come out.

I guess if I get a Geforce I'll at least have better OpenGL in Lightwave and other 3D apps I guess?

Comment

Dentaku -See:
              http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenT...65&m=801092262

Comment

I have a geforce2 MX at work and I can't complain about the image quality. I am running at 1280x1024x32. I am pretty sure that moving from driver 5.3x to 6.18 made a huge difference. At first I was very disappointed but with 6.18 I was happy. It probably just fixed the contrast or something...

Anyway, I think that the geforce2 MX is a very good card. I like that it doesn't use a fan. I got the Hercules and I am glad I did. I never had any problems except under Linux. I was able to get Linux working with the older XF86 driver but with RH7.0 it doesn't work for me.

Also, in a way the 3d image quality for games is better because you can run at higher res + color, but it's got lots of artifacts and textures sometimes are wrong.

I had a hard time choosing between the two for my home system. I think that previous cards from nvidia had bad 2d quality but at the resolution I run at, the monitor probably makes a bigger difference.

Salmonius

Comment

If you are checking, check on the same monitor otherwise you'll be looking at the differance between monitors as well.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I have a G400 Max and an eVga MX and I'd give the G400 a slight edge in 2D. The GeForce 2 is much better at 2D than it's predecessors were. If you don't play games or do 3D work the G400 is a good choice but the MX is far better for 3D. My G400 actually looks better at 10x7 than at 12x10.

Comment

I notice that you are from Canada. If you decide to get the g400, I strongly suggest looking at this place: www.atic.ca.

They have the g400-32MB singlehead for $160 (canadian$). So it is a very good price. I am on the east coast, they are on the west coast, and I always buy from them and Onvia because they are much cheaper for basically everything.

For the crazies who want Rambus, 128MB pc800 for $250. Also 256MB pc133 7.5ns $320, thunderbird 800 $230, etc.

Salmonius

Comment

Well, I can see a huge difference at 1024x768x32bpp. The G400 wins hands-down. 'Course some people ain't got such sensitive peepers, y'ken?

- Gurm

------------------
                        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

Gurm also has a good point about the old peepers. Someone here posted some picturs compairing the G400 and Gts I think. I tried these out at work. Two of us couldn't tell the differance and one could (The Youngest one) and chose the G400 everytime.
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                          X