Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual problem,do i need to flash bios on PCI Millenium 2

OK... the story goes...
    I was new to pc's and advised by a 'friend' to flash my bios. So i did, but though windows and not through dos. DASH IT!!

my bios broke.. and i had no image on boot up, on windows however, it worked fine more or less>

Matrox support said to ship it back to them and they would flash the bios for me, but the arrival of my brand new MARVEL G200, cooled my jets a little and it is still lying around at home in a box somewhere...

FLASH FORWARD to the year 2000, and I haev a max, due to be replaced this weekend by a RT2000, FLEX combo YAY

and it suddenly occurs to me, that i could put the old millenium 2<bless it> in the old grey box in there as well, by a second hand monitor and away i go with to monitors and a TV preview screen WOW.

Now i know using 2 cards, windows only reads the bios of the initaling card <i think anyway> so that would be the flex, and the millenium 2 would be detected through windows and then run ok.

OR.. do i need to flash and fix the bios somehow... and if so Can anyone help me do it...

I know that matrox have a funky Emergency disc thingy now, but on closer inspection it seems that it backs of the bios FROM your card to use in an emergency, and of course mine doesnt have one cos i erased it <oops>

So i guess i would beed someone to do it for me? and then email me the disc.. and then i could start my machine with the Millenium 2 in and the floppy and all would be well.

That is IF it needs a bios to use it what i want to use it for.

am i making any sense...

if anyone can help, <or even dechiper my mad ramblings so others may understand and then maybe help>

i would really appreciate it... Thanks..

Colin
    Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Visit my website, address in profile.

Comment

Thanks you.
      I had visited your site before and thought the answer might be in there somewhere
      but i am also not so good when it comes to technical stuff lik that.
      and never created an autoexec.bat
      i presume i just make a text file called that? then i could test the disc with my g400
      <but not push y obviously>
      then just pop out my max slip in the millenium and give it a whirl, i am looking at the dead bios recovery page.

im hoping this would work..
      Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

Hi,
        i now have my rt2000 installed and have tried to install the millenium 2 as a secondary adapter.
        It doesnt seem to want to work
        it has a yellow flag in device manager and says
        "Windows cannot initialze the built-in grpahics adpater. Shut down your computer, remove all graphics adapters and then restart your computer. Shut down your computre again reinsert all graphics adapters, and then restart your computer"

It said the same thing when i tried it with my G400 MAX, earlier (ive reinstalled since then though)

I figure this is because of it having no bios? it doesnt say anything about conflicts.

I looked at the aforementioned page, and learnt a lot, i downloaded thew correct pins and bin file and make a startup disc.
        But im kinda afraid to admit that im dumb when it comes to dos . lol

And there wasnt enough space on the startup disc to put all the files i needed for the reboot. So i deleted stuff i thought i wouldnt need like fdisk, ect and so on unitil i had enough space on the disc, then copied across progbios, ect as instructed, i edited the autoexec bat to include the commabd line to flash the bios (i put it at the end) And then i popped the disc in
        i know that if it would work it would say push Y to continue.

but it didnt get that far. It tried to load lots of things it couldnt find and then asked for disc 2?

does the autoexec.bat file need to just include the progbios line and nothing else?

I would appreciate any advice gbm.

thanks. Colin

Comment

hiya, its fixed.. i played with the disc a little bit an ddelted everything in the autoexec.bat apart from the bprogramming line. and what dya know it worked
          THANK YOU so much.... Its helped a great Deal. You are a credit to umm nice people everywhere.

Again thanks

Colin

Comment

Working...
          X