G400 Max, have we seen all it can do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 Max, have we seen all it can do?

I recently attended a LAN game, which I organised. There where 20 people in attendance. The PC there ranged from P2's with Voodoo2 cards, right up to P3 733 with Geforce 2GTS. What I noticed was the G400MAX is really a very good card.

You never get a better chance to compare against the competition, and thankfully most people there didnt try and convince you their's was best.

To summarise, the colours on the Matrox where more contrasting (clearly), and the 3d game performance was about the same. The geforce user's even commented that it seemed more consistant (lower on the whole but consistant all the same) while the geforce seemed to race most of the time with some noticable stutters.

Back to the question, do you think there will any more gains in future driver releases, or will it just be fixes?

background info:
    we were playing Halflife Counterstrike, and most people were playing 1024x768 16 bit

------------------
    P3 700Mhz cB0 stepping, G400MAX,Abit BE6-2 RV Bios,Quantum KX 7200 13Gig,256Mb 100SDram,Asuscom ISDN,SCSI 100Mb zip int,SB Live Value,Tosh 6702, HP 9110i.
    P3 700Mhz cB0 stepping, G400MAX,Abit BE6-2 RV Bios,Quantum KX 7200 13Gig,256Mb 100SDram,Asuscom ISDN,SCSI 100Mb zip int,SB Live Value,Tosh 6702, HP 9110i.

Well, I´d like to see some more improvements, even though I´m more then happy with Matrox drivers, as they are ROCK-SOLID:

------------------
    I never sign without reading the small print first.

Comment

It would be nice to get maybe a 10% increase, unrealistic but nice.

It would be nice to have Tracey Lords hoover my appendage, unrealistic but nice.

Comment

This is a tough one. I'm tempted to say that there will be only minor speed increases from here on out. However, from the 5.40 drivers to the 6.04 drivers some people gained 10fps, which is a 20% increase!

Don't go thinking we're ever going to see 60fps though, that's just being unrealistic. But another few fps here and there isn't an unrealistic expectation at all.

Most of us have been (and still are) willing to accept that we will never have stellar fps, but we will always have the highest quality graphics.

And it doesn't hurt that our 30fps is a consistent 30fps - which I'll take any day over 60fps which drops to 10fps sometimes.

- Gurm

------------------
        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Ok this is probably a really stupid suggestion, made on a large assumption, but I was day dreaming and it seemed good.

I belive the G400 chip itself is completely programmable, would it be completely beyond the realms of possibility to reprogramme the chip to use tile based rendering which I understand is where the next gen cards are going to get round bandwidth problems.

Feel free to pick apart that idea.

Comment

With tgl the speed increasement was terribel. Something about 60% better than before. Now I'm gettin 170 FPS in Q3Arena on my System. That's enough I mean. Didn't need any increasement need the G800 !

------------------
            Celeron FCPGA 566@850
            Asus P2B, G400 DH 4A 32MB SG-Ram oc@144\192 128 MB Cas2 PC100

PIII 700@933 on Asus P3B-F, GF2 GTS, 512 MB Infineon

Comment

forgive me did you say you get 170 fps in quake3? what on earth settings do you use?

Comment

8 pixels by 4 with 3 colours.

------------------
                Cheers,
                Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

most matrox users run in 32bit
                  jim

------------------
                  P3-700e @ 1052! Check it here!
                  Abit BE6-2
                  TwinMos 256mb pc-133
                  G400 32mb DH
                  Maxtor 15.3gb 7,200rpm
                  SB Live!
                  Toshiba 12x DVD
                  Iomega 650cd burner
                  Winblows 98se & DX7
                  and 384k DSL!
                  System 1:
                  AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                  Epox 8K7A
                  2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                  an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                  SBLIVE 5.1
                  Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                  IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                  Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                  3Com Hardware Modem
                  Teac 20/10/40 burner
                  Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

I thought the Q3 Demo Test had a broken timerefresh in it, well anyway...

Comment

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what's TCL?

Comment

I have messed around at times and tweaked my q3a config to the point where it will hit 200fps (these are all scores on the instantaneous frame counter) in a corner, around 100-120 in corridors, and ranging between 40-70 in melee's in open areas.

What I aim for is to get rid of those times of 40fps. Still, 40fps minimum is not bad.

In timedemos at 800x600 (32bit, I think - it doesn't make a lot of difference anyway) I got an average of 55 on demo002

On q3dm13 I'm at 100+fps about 60% of the time. Not too shabby and it'll do me till the G800. :-)

Cerb

------------------
                        Athlon 700
                        ASUS K7V
                        192Mb RAM
                        32Mb G400 DH (Win2k driver ver 5.14)
                        SBLive! Value
                        26.4GB Total HDD
                        Actima 8xDVD
                        LG 32x4x4x CD-RW
                        CTX VL950T 19"

Purrin' like a kitten.
                        <i>Shampoo is better! I go on first and clean the hair!</i>

Athlon 700, K7V, 192Mb RAM, 32Mb G400 DH (v5.52), SBLive!, 26.4GB HDD, Win2k Pro, Actima 8xDVD, LG 32x4x4x CD-RW, CTX VL950T 19"

Comment

There is a known problem with the Voodoo 3 cards, they don't do all the visual effects in Q3. This gives them a fps edge in favour of less visual effects so a comparison with a Voodoo 3 isn't fair.
                          For the question, yes, new drivers MIGHT give you a few more frames (2-3%) but we're already at the end of the G400 lifecycle and I'm sure matrox did their best to squeeze every possible bit of performance out of it if only because it affects sales.

------------------
                          I like to con people, but I also like to insult them. What if I could combine the two, I would call it - Consult !

Comment

Himself, you make you point clearly, but I would argue that the Turbo Gl addition was targeted solely at gamers/tweakers.

Also I prefer Matrox's steady progression to Nvidia's experimention any day.

[This message has been edited by skeoch (edited 18 October 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                            X