Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You think Matrox is a top DVD performer? Think again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You think Matrox is a top DVD performer? Think again!

AnandTech <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1332">blasts Matrox</A> in this review (Video Card Roundup - DVD Quality, Features & Performance - October 2000).

If I were to get a new video card today, I would get the ATI Radeon. But if the G800 would come out, I would choose the G800.

• Box 2:
    • operating system: FreeBSD 4.1
    • CPU: Intel Pentium 60
    • memory: 32 MB
    • hard drive: Quantum Fireball 1 GB

legalize

Why, of course it isn't a "top performer."

The G400 has no specific acceleration for DVD at all.

I can't be bothered to read the full article but if it is as accurate all the way as when they claim "DVD’s are intended to be played back at a standard 720 x 480 resolution" then I wouldn't believe their word. Guess they didn't hear about anamorphic DVDs or even PAL.

Oh, I see it's just another Video2000 benchmark.

What's unique with the G400 is it's top notch quality DVDMax output. What's more you can even output anything using overlays not just DVDs.

Comment

dvd playback to my 32" sony widescreen is flawless ALWAYS, no artifacts, colour bleeding, stuttering etc,etc,etc...

just what is it with the sudden matrox attacks?, i've had my g400max for over a year now & its still a fantastic card.

Comment

So have I and I have not had a sigle prob. with it! And it still has the best 2d on the market! Heck my G200 has beter 2d then most non-Matrox cards out there!

------------------
        Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

When a large company shows up at these sites throwing money or free cards around, reviews and such are doomed to be biased
          System 1:
          AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
          Epox 8K7A
          2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
          an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
          SBLIVE 5.1
          Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
          IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
          Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
          3Com Hardware Modem
          Teac 20/10/40 burner
          Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

I've said it before, I'll say it again. It's best to just ignore Anand. He comes to good conclusions about as much as he comes to poor ones. He just doesn't really know what he's talking about.
            The only time I'll even refer to his stuff is when people say "Anand says....so it must be true" is when I can find Anand disagreeing with the same person on some other point. It usually isn't to hard.

Just say NO to Anand.

[This message has been edited by Wombat (edited 14 October 2000).]
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Hey, even my old G200 can hold its own at DVD perfomance - virtually flawless on a Celeron 300@464 w/ PowerDVD

------------------
              Currently powered by:
              P3 600EB@700, Matrox G400 32MB DH, QDI Advance 9, 128MB PC133 Goldstar
              Currently powered by:
              P3 600EB@700, Matrox G400 32MB DH, QDI Advance 9, 128MB PC133 Goldstar

Comment

Hi all,

Whenever you guys would like to check out multiple reviews for a particular product, I recommend you go to www.searchareview.com

This is a site with a search engine designed to search for the product you're looking for in as many reviews as possible.

EvEeRy OnE hAs ThE rIgHt To Be StUpId, BuT tHiS iS aBuSiNg ThE pRiViLeGe...

Comment

Thanks MF
                  jim
                  System 1:
                  AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                  Epox 8K7A
                  2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                  an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                  SBLIVE 5.1
                  Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                  IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                  Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                  3Com Hardware Modem
                  Teac 20/10/40 burner
                  Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

The dumb sonnofabitch is even lying.

In "Blitter Upscale Quality Tests: Jagged Edges" he lists the g200 as "failing"
                    while my Marvel G200 completes all those
                    tests perfectly, thank you very much.

Perhaps it's too much work to actually test a card....
                    Rob, a great fan of the Aerobed

Comment

Aerobed you should mailö him telling that so he can change it! It's propably just an mistake!

------------------
                      Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC
                      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Maybe Anand used the drivers which came on the CD.

Comment

But he makes soo many mistakes. Anand is pretty incompetant.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

It's because he's barely out of nappies! (Daipers to our american friends!)

------------------
                            Cheers,
                            Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

DVDs output to my TV from my G400 look incredible. Anands' conclusion might carry some weight if you like watching movies on your computer monitor, but frankly the TV output I've used from Nvidia, ATI, and 3dfx is either of poor quality or a PITA to use, or both.
                              Games Box
                              --------------
                              Windows 2000Pro, ASUS A7Pro, Duron 750@950, 192MB Micron PC133, OEM Radeon DDR, 15gb Quantum Fireball+ LM, Fujitsu 5.25gb, Pioneer 32x slot load CDROM, SB Live! Value, LinkSys LNE100, Altec Lansing ACS45.2, Samsung Syncmaster 955DF, Sycom 300va UPS

Video Box
                              ------
                              Windows 2000Pro, PIII700 on ASUS CUBX, 256mb Micron PC133, Vanilla G400/32 (PD5.14), Hauppage WinTV-DBX, LinkSys LNE100, 8.4gb Maxtor HD, 40gb 7200 Western Digital, Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer 32x SCSI Slot load CDROM, Pioneer 10x Slot load DVD, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Panasonic Panasync S70

Feline Tech Support
                              -------------
                              Jinx the Grey Thundercat, Mischa (Shilsner?)(still MIA)

...currently working on the world's first C64 based parallel computing project

Comment

Working...
                              X