Clear All

• Win2k G400 REFRESH rates

Hello

Here's my configuration:
    - Windows 2000 SP1
    - Matrox Millennium G400 32 MB DH
    - Drivers 5.14 (WHQL certified)
    - BIOS 1.6-25
    - Sony Multiscan G400 19" monitor (Flat CRT)

Here's my problem:
    That monitor is supposed to do 101 Hz at 1280x1024, however I can't get it higher than 85 Hz at any resolution. I tried using 'Plug & Play Monitor' and the correct 'Sony G400' monitor profiles, but nothing changes.
    If, under the display adapter properties I click on 'List all modes' I get none above 85 Hz.
    I have no problems connecting the monitor to an ATi RagePro 8 MB (Windows 2000). I get 90 Hz at 1280x1024 and way above 100 Hz for lower resolutions.
    I expect my 32 MB Matrox card to give me full 101 Hz at least!

Where's the problem?

Thank you very much
    SeBA

You are going about changing your refresh rates the wrong way. Just goto display properties/advanced/monitor settings/ adjust current display mode.

Rags

You can also adjust other display modes while in there.

Comment

I remember reading somewhere that monitor and graphics card makers don't recommend using refresh rates over 85Hz. Maybe that's why it defaults to 85Hz even though it's capable of 100Hz? I've got w2k, g200+Nokia 446XPro, and it's the same thing.

Anyone know if there's a reason why you shouldn't use refresh rates over 85Hz?

Hege

Comment

That's right. The only way to get the monitor to 100 Hz is to do it manually with the matrox utility, using the arrows by increasing by one by one...
        In the OSD, under 'recommended setting' the monitor recommends 85 Hz. Anyaway I couldn't see much of a difference between 85 and 100, so I put it back to 85.
        I will ask Sony why they write 'Ergonomic resolution 1280x1024 @ 101 Hz' on the front of the monitor...

Comment

Hege, the reason it is prefered to limit the refresh rate is that it will prevent a monitor from burning out before it's time. Higher refresh rates pushed to the max limit puts an excesive strain on the circuitry. Altho most monitor manufactures claim much better specs than they are normally driven at, by doing it will shorten it's life expectency. Thus when they are driven to no more than 85Hz (flicker free), will buy you a couple of years more useage.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Oh, that's why my other monitor burned out! It was limited to 75 Hz but I always used it at 85 Hz. That was the maximum and unsupported... Hehhe.
            Anyway at a first glance I didn't notice any difference between 85 and 100 Hz. I'm happy with 85 Hz anyway... and as this monitor was so expensive I will keep it that way
            Cheers
            Seba

Comment

Working...
            X