Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking Newbie wants to o/c G200

Hi folks,

I've had a Millenium G200 for almost three years, and it has labored just fine, but recently it just hasn't been up to snuff with the latest games. I don't really have the money to buy a new video card (ok, ok, the wife won't let me). So I was looking to o/c the card to eek some more performance out of it. So, how do I do it?

I've notice that both Matrox and MGAtools have utils to o/c cards. Which is the best?

What settings have people found that work the best?

What about cooling?

Thanks,
    Tomahawk

The Matrox OC will only work with PD 5.x and MGA Tweak works with both.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Overclocking is very different on a card-by-card basis. One will go to a certain rate and another will go to a different clock rate.

Save your pennies. 5% overclocking a older slow card is still slow.

ps- not trying to piss you off- I still am using a G200!

Comment

So am I (G200, G400Max, G450), managed a ~15% boost with the Millennium G200. How much tho does depend on the quality of the parts on your card.

What cpu are you running?
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

I'm running a PII 333 on an ASUS P2B.

Comment

Upgrading your cpu would also help (yes I know my wife is the same!

Comment

The G200 generally doesn't O/C well, meannig you don't get all that much improvement... I have 2 and with my Crappy 8Mb module out of one of them I can get to 95 or 100Mhz Core, which does well, but suchs in Reg. Windows cuz I run 1280x1024.. low on memory
              with it in I can get 93Mhz core, not bad...

As far as how to O/C a Matrox card, get MGATweak, VERY nice, once you get you're sweet spot, you can use that info and G200.com (DOS O/C'er) to make a batch file and yer done...

you won't see much sadly though, I have a P2-333 and it wasn't cutting it either... the P3700 I have now pushes the G200 hard...

try O/C'ing the CPU...

Craig

[This message has been edited by Stringy (edited 11 October 2000).]
              1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

I had my g200 up to 116, mind you I put a socket 7 cooler on it and put heatsinks on the memory chip.
                Actually the socket 7 cooler is way overkill, a small 486 fan would do the job.
                But heatsinks on the mem chips mad it much more stable at higher clk's.
                I used gclk, also playing with the memory timing made difference in speed, and stability.

ahh the good ol days, alas I have been seduced by the darks side, I have an asus ddr geforce deluxe. but the colors looked way better on the g200.
                (perhaps if I used nitrogen cooling on the g200?)

Comment

When I owned a G200, 103Mhz core was the limit, with a Cyrix fan (that I´m using on my G400 now). It was the 0.35 micron version, so, if you own the 0.25 micron revision, you are lucky.

Nevertheless, I think it´s ALMOST not worth the trouble. If you don´t mind losing a bit of detail in your games, step down to 640x480, as it´s a easier way to raise your fps.

Edit: Hold it! If your card is 3 years old, it must be the 0.35 micron version. Chucks...

------------------
                  Don´t you just love naked girls?

[This message has been edited by Alec (edited 11 October 2000).]

Comment

Of course it is worthwhile overclocking the G200, especially because it's slow. I cannot believe the illogical arguments in this thread. Try to get it to run at 100MHz, that will make gameplay far more fluid. And only play games at 640x480@16bit. And a faster processor definitely helps too. If the heatsink is properly connected I wouldn't worry about extra cooling, you will only get a few MHz more. And I would never let a wife tell me what (not) to buy. (Can you tell I'm not married?)

------------------
                    ------------
                    ------

Comment

Go for it !!!

I was able to OC my first MillG200 from def. 112MHz memory up to 140MHz and its followup, a Rev-5 MystG200 went even up to 164MHz memory clock !!!

The gain was very worth the effort ...
                      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                      Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                      be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                      4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                      2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                      OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                      4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                      Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                      Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                      LG BH10LS38
                      LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

I must disagree partially with everyone, including me.

- G200 overclockability varies quite a bit, and it even depends on the heat inside the computer case.

- I think the Asus P2B supports the Pentium III. Upgrading to a Pentium III won´t perform a miracle because the G200 is easily taken to its limits. When I upgraded my Pentium II 233 to a Celeron 433 (which I overclocked to 468Mhz), the speed difference was there, but not very noticeable.

Bottom line:
                        Tomahawk, if you want to push your G200, overclock it, but bear in mind that your speed (or lack there of) problem will not disappear. The G200 is outdated for today´s games, unless you play them at low resolutions. My advice is: save some money under the bed and away from your wife´s sight. In two or three months you´ll be able to buy a Pentium III 700 Mhz processor and a newer graphics card (G800 maybe?).
                        Then you can kick some ass in Unreal Tournament.

Cheers
                        Alec

------------------
                        Don´t you just love naked girls?

Comment

Working...
                        X