G400 and Whistler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 and Whistler

Well, I'll be rebuilding my machine with Whistler installed this weekend. So, if nobody gets to it before then I'll be reporting how the G400 and Whistler get along early next week.

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

I haven't tried my G400 in Whistler but I did try my Geforce and it worked perfectly fine. Whistler is just Windows 2000 so anything Windows 2000 supports Whistler will support. I do find it though strange that I received a message when I started Adaptec 4.0 that this program is incompatible with Whistler....it's likely they stuck that in there because of the issues with Media Player 7 and Adaptec 4.0 and they probably plan to integrate Media Player 7 into Whistler. Anyways since Whistler 2257:
    took up around 100m of ram on boot up (can be reduced to around 50 by disabling alot of services),
    complained about .cat files (You may be able to replace them with 2000 versions haven't tried it),
    Didn't install my NIC card (I didn't feel like porting Netgear drivers from 2000),
    seemed overall less responsive than Windows 2000.
    C:\DOS
    C:\DOS\RUN
    \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Yeah, the 2000 drivers should work. I am just wondering how hard it will be to find out if dualhead works right, and if so how i can get a copy of working drivers Otherwise, M$ will be getting alot of bug reports on the subject.

And, technically, i'm not under NDA yet =)

Oh, about adaptech software, it might be using the build number of windows to judge compatability. Or they may have gotten wise and made it so that their software won't FUBAR windows if its not known compatable.

Think early Millennium builds.

-Luke

[This message has been edited by DGhost (edited 28 September 2000).]
      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Ditto on DosFreak when I tried it out.

------------------
        Cheers,
        Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

OT - Will any version of Easy CD Creator work under Win2K?

Comment

Sure, 4.02 and later should work fine with Win2k. I'm using 4.02d right now with no problems.
            Cory Grimster
            <A HREF="http://www.houseofhelp.com"TARGET=_blank>www.houseofhelp. com</A>
            <A HREF="http://www.2cpu.com"TARGET=_blank>www.2cpu.com</A>

Comment

The reason I ask is I purchased 4.0 with the floppy update disk a couple of months ago. I installed it and twice it deleted both my CDROMs from the device manager. No clue. I have a more recent update I downloaded from Adaptec. Still hesitant to install it.

Comment

I was referring not to whether it would run or not, but whether we were getting the things we've been "promised" in Whistler:

- Working dual-head
                - Faster graphics (although it might not be any faster than it is in the DX8 fix)

- Gurm

------------------
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

i'm using ver 3.5c with win2k, no problems at all.( using nero as well )

Comment

Gurm,

Now how on earth would you be able to tell if MS allows dualhead off of one card? The drivers would have to be re written for this, and AFAIK, there are no such drivers? Just being curious

Comment

Ah, see I was under the impression that Matrox had done all that needed to be done in their drivers already.

If I'm wrong, oh well. I'm still installing Whistler on the multiprocessor machine.

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

As was I...

Both DualHead and TwinView present themselves identically as \\.\Display1\Unit0 and \\.\Display1\Unit1. Seems like either the OS will recognize these as distinct devices or it won't.

Anything less than that would not be OS "support", but rather something more like a loophole that each developer could try to slip thru as they saw fit - an unlikely possibility...

(An aside: 3dlabs' Permedia4 also has dual head, but looks like it presents itself as a multifunction device with twin 330MHz DACs.)

Comment

AFAIK, and you can try this for yourself to see what I mean, the drivers have to be written differently (powerdesk is a bit different under win2k), to see what I mean. Put your card in standard vga mode under win98, doesn't look like ms installs multimonitor support there all by itself, without powerdesk. Now, we also have many different functions to powerdesk that are dependent on versions, and are very different from twinview (even though, they are closely related), drivers have to be a factor there.

Rags

Comment

Oops
                            what's Whistler ??
                            GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

It's the new version of win2k.

Rags

Comment

Working...
                              X