Core clock: 200 Mhz
    Memory clock: 200 Mhz / 400 Mhz DDR
    Render pipelines count: 3
    Texturing units count: 3
    Fillrate: 600 Mpixels/sec, 1800 Mtexels/sec
    Processing speed: 20-30 million triangles/sec
    Memory bandwidth: 6.4 Gbytes/sec
    Scalable architecture
    As far as I remember, previously the memory clock was planned to be 250/500 Mhz DDR."
    http://www.reactorcritical.com/#l489

Well, and the specs for the next voodo??

-Core clock: 200 Mhz
    -Memory clock: 200 Mhz / 400 Mhz DDR
    -Render pipelines count: 4
    -Texturing units count: 4
    -Fillrate: 800 Mpixels/sec, 3200 Mtexels/sec
    -Processing speed of Sage, the external T&L unit: 75 (may be 60) million triangles/sec
    -Memory bandwidth: ? 6.4 Gbytes/sec ?
    -Scalable architecture. (1 Rampage + 1 Sage)
    -The specs are given for a basic model (1 Rampage + 1 Sage), but even a basic model looks very impressive.

O__O
    'Azzo!!!!
    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Funny, the G800 is low-tech before it's even out. The GeForce 3 will be out around chritmas (unlike the G800 it actually will) and it's really going to kick ass.

Now for a little conspiracy theory - M$ knows matrox are waiting for DX8 to be released before they release the G800. M$ works with nVIDIA very closely, so maybe they just delay the DX8 as much as they can just as a small favor to nVIDIA...?
      Now this is a nice conspiracy...!

------------------
      I like to con people, but I also like to insult them. What if I could combine the two, I would call it - Consult !

Comment

Don't you just love pure speculation based on no facts at all?

Joel
        Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
        Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

You need to take those G800 specs and multiply them by 2 (at least!). Hopefully those specs are wrong and the G800 will be much better than that (DVD decoding assist too please!). The G800 isn't going to go very far if all it has is superior image quality like the G400, especially since it's only a matter of time before Matrox's competitors catch up.

Comment

The G800 isn't going to go very far if all it has is superior image quality like the G400, especially since it's only a matter of time before Matrox's competitors catch up.
            This doesn't match Matrox's past record, Matrox has of Yet to put Performance above all concerns...
            they put features and Usability above all.. DualHead is just another Example, they not only have Std. DualHead but also modes like DVDMax and Zoom etc...

Personally, when the G800 comes out, I'm sure it'll be competitive on performance... Talking about how this UnRELEASED card is gonna be slower than another UnRELEASED card is kinda asinine...

all Matrox has to do for me to buy their next product is have it out at or around Dec. and intro it with Decent drivers...
            I already know they will make a card I like because of DualHead their Emphasis on 2D Image Quality...

Craig

[This message has been edited by Stringy (edited 02 October 2000).]
            1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

Just like Matrox, Nividia next card will support DX8 features through hardware. So even Nividia needs DX8 to be out in order for their card to use the new features in the hardware. Actually Nividia and Microsoft are working together to make sure there is at least one card on the market that supports all the DX8 features. Maybe this means Nividia will actually have decent DX drivers.
              A person should not promise to give a child something and then not give it,
              because in that way the child learns to lie.
              Babylonian Talmud

Comment

All I want to see is the G800 is not going to cost $400. If they have to cut out the digital monitor output, ok by me.

Comment

Drizzt, from what I've read so far from JoshMST at penstar sys (and others), Rampage will probably be 4 pixel pipes and 4 TMUs total per chip (actually, Texture Computers, not TMUs - which others suggest means pixel shaders). Maybe the chip will hit 250Mhz, that would give 1 MPix and 1MTex per second max theoretical fill rate per chip.

AJ
                  Trying to figuring out what Matrox is up to is like tying to find a road that's not on the map, at night, while wearing welders googles!

Comment

I HIGHLY doubt that those old specs are still accurate. So much has happened in the industry since those were originally leaked (assuming they are accurate at ALL.)

Who knows.......maybe the specs are right on. But, what if Matrox's implementation is so much more efficient that lower throughput in T&L and pixel/texel will still beat out the other guys? How will FCRAM help out? All the little questions.....

One concern with Matrox right now is the Z-buffer bullshit that has plagued G400s forever. Flickering wall detail and surface damage in UT, the same in Counterstrike. C'Mon!

And, OpenGL. How can they POSSIBLY have problems with the Quake 3 engine still? It's rediculous. Elite Force runs like sh*t half the time. I stay at 800x600x16 bit because if I go higher the controls lag terribly and the game is generally sporadically jerkier even if the framerate is not that bad.

Anyway, Matrox needs great visual quality, some decent, competitive speed, a proper Z-buffer setup, and OPENGL!

--------------------
                    ABIT BF6, Pentium III Katmai 450->663MHz, GW VOS32 Cooler, 128MB SDRAM, Toshiba 6X DVD, Quantum Fireball Plus LM, Matrox Millenium G400 DH @ 160/200, Creative SBLive, Enlight 7237 Case, 300watt PCPC TurboCool PS, and some fun with a Dremel!
                    Last edited by Heiney; 20 May 2022, 10:48.

Comment

The reason that directx 8 is 'delayed', you can't delay a software that hasn't had a release date set for it, is because that is the version of directx that is going to be used for the xbox. Microsoft wan't to get directx 8 absolutely right, as far as they can, before they relase it.
                      AthlonXP 1700+@1900+(1.59GHz) on Abit KG7, 512Mb DDRram, Elsa Gladiac 920, SB 128 pci, ADI microscan 17in monitor, Pioneer 6x dvd rom,Ricoh7083CDRW, 56k modem

Comment

As a beta tester for Dx8 I can say this much is that Dx8 will be a solid release and has gone through servral stages. Can't say when it will be done but soon

------------------
                        Staff Memeber and SuperGeek of the Year at
                        <A HREF="http://www.3dpower.net
                        ski@3dpower.net" TARGET=_blank>www.3dpower.net
                        ski@3dpower.net</A>

Staff Member and SuperGeek of the Year at
                        <A HREF="http://www.3dpower.net
                        ski@3dpower.net" TARGET=_blank>www.3dpower.net
                        ski@3dpower.net</A>

Comment

Originally posted by Heiney:
                          Anyway, Matrox needs great visual quality, some decent, competitive speed, a proper Z-buffer setup, and OPENGL!
                          The visual quality probably isn't gonna be a problem, and probably the speed is gonna be OK too. I guess the Z problems can be solved too, the problem is that G400 doesn't support W-buffering which some games use (like UT). W buffering is much more suited for huge outdoor areas than Z buffering is. It's not hard to implement so I guess they have learned.
                          But for the last point I have my doubts, OpenGL on Matrox cards have never been especially great, and probably wont be too great with G800 too.

Comment

Hopefully the G800 ICD won't be buggy. Not that the majority of the applications out there use OpenGL but a solid driver for it wouldn't hurt Matrox any. As usual DX games run great with the G400, a trend that will most likely continue with the G800.

I already know they will make a card I like because of DualHead their Emphasis on 2D Image Quality...
                            You should just keep your G400 then

Comment

that link don't work...

------------------
                              Cheers,
                              Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Working...
                              X