Clear All

• Anyone try DirectX 8 yet?

Well?
    Any problems, benefits, opinions?

You can d/l it (a beta I assume) here:
    http://zoiah.m3dzone.com/files/directx/146/DX80eng.exe

that is the Win 9x/ME version BTW.

Comment

There's probably not much to tell since there isn't any software out there that actually uses it... afaik..

amish
      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

That and the graphics card drivers must be written to take advantage of it. I know 1 very important person around here where DX8 thrashed their system.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Well, the latest beta seems a teensy bit slower than the last one (146).

NO, no games use DX8 yet. HOWEVER...

If you have Win2k, DX8 fixes a major bug in Win2k which slows down games considerably. You can get as much as a 25% performance boost in D3D just for installing DX8.

In addition, under Win2k, DX8 makes the SB Live! work... so if you have Liveware! 3 for Win2k and install DX8, the Live! will be hardware accelerated (finally).

Last but not least, it just makes all games in Win2k run a bit better.

Under Win9x/ME it is next to useless.

- Gurm

------------------
          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

I'm using it under win2k and i can back up what Gurm says, games D3d games are alot smoother. Apart from that i don't notice anything.

I ghosted my win2k partition before i installed it, just incase..
            AthlonXP 1700+@1900+(1.59GHz) on Abit KG7, 512Mb DDRram, Elsa Gladiac 920, SB 128 pci, ADI microscan 17in monitor, Pioneer 6x dvd rom,Ricoh7083CDRW, 56k modem

Comment

What about Aureal card support? Does this affect the supposedly poor performance of Aureal cards in Win2K??

amish
              Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

I'm not sure about the Aureal drivers. I wouldn't count on it, although there are supposedly new beta drivers that are only a month old that Vortex of Sound (at http://www.vortexofsound.com of course) is attempting to get permission to post.

- Gurm

------------------
                Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Yeap...

I running DX8 RC0 now.

Matrox G400 driver is PD5.55. Kinda dated, i guessed. But its the only revision before PD6.xx that can works wif the Matrox Overclocker.

I hv been running DX8 since release 140. So far i hv not encountered major driver issue. Speed wise i hv not bench it. Seemed Ok.

Like U lots out there, i just curious how the DX8 deck out. Knowing that no software or game uses DX8. Benefit wise is v minimal.

Even my Diamond Monster Sound 3D M80 seemed to B pretty happy running DX8.

Comment

The Matrox OCer only works through PD5.x If you want to OC and use PD6.x use MGA Tweak available on the MURC.
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X