Have any G800 rumors or "inside info?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have any G800 rumors or "inside info?"

Ok, before the flames start, I want to say that I just started following Matrox again. So I've been out of the loop for a while, so cut me some slack.

I wanna know what rumours have been floating around concerning the G800. I realize that it's release date hasn't even been announced but still, what's the word on the street?

DDR on 128bit bus? DH? T&L?

[This message has been edited by Scooter (edited 01 October 2000).]

Search this site and you'll find out.

Comment

You've been alot of help.

Comment

That's what were here for... to help you

Comment

Soon.

Joel
          Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
          Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

See that there search button? Type G800 in it and let 'er rip. Pretty cool, huh?

Rags

Comment

Matrox could integrated DX8 in the G800. a hardware DX8 board.

Comment

Result summary:

Nobody knows, and toss in a million guesses and speculations and a few people taking advantage of beta tester status to stir up the pot.

Comment

Barbarella, DX8 hardware board? *scratches head* Which makes it different from any other card, how?

[This message has been edited by Scooter (edited 01 October 2000).]

Comment

That's why I didn't want anything to do with it. That's all you're going to get.

Comment

I follow you now.

Comment

hi,

The directx or opengl functions are translate into functions that can be understand by the graphic processor. This is done by the driver.

Imagine a processor that can understand and execute directly DX8 or OGL function. This will reduce the time take by the driver to translate and the number of command needed to execute a DX8 or OGL command.

This can be an ansver to : why the G800 can't be lauch before DX8. It needs DX8 !

[This message has been edited by Barbarella (edited 01 October 2000).]

Comment

whoah. Sounds like that should be one helluva optimised processor. I'm all over the G800 once it's released. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbarella:
                            hi,

The directx or opengl functions are translate into functions that can be understand by the graphic processor. This is done by the driver.

Imagine a processor that can understand and execute directly DX8 or OGL function. This will reduce the time take by the driver to translate and the number of command needed to execute a DX8 or OGL command.

This can be an ansver to : why the G800 can't be lauch before DX8. It needs DX8 !
                            Hardlocking the hardware to a specific API is a bad idea. It might make it impossible to use with DX9 when it comes. Furthermore, function calling overhead isn't the bottleneck.

Comment

"It might make it impossible to use with DX9 when it comes".

only the new function and they will not be a lot. so you can use the traditionnal way. using driver. DW8 will be a big dirextX, i don't think Microsoft will change a lot of DX8 when launching DX9. Adding the fact that DX9 will not appear soon this will give time to make a new G800, G900

"Furthermore, function calling overhead isn't the bottleneck."

Not true. We can see big difference between beta driver and optimised driver. This solution (or something like that) is used in console game.

Comment

Working...
                              X