"Ran out of memory" error in Media Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Ran out of memory" error in Media Player

Okay... brand new problem I'd love help with...

Recently I've been getting the "Ran out of Memory" error when I try to play completed video files in the Windows Media Player (latest version). The problem will also manifest in the PC-VCR program by just locking up.

The file in particular is a 5-minute, MJPEG compressed .avi - 24 fps, 11-1 compression, 704x480. It weighs in at around 800MB. I've successfully played larger files before.

I guess I'm surprised at this because I didn't think avi files were played by loading them all into memory first - I thought it loaded a chunk first and loaded as it went. What's the faulty area here? I'd love any pointers to diagnostic programs or any suggestions in general.

TIA,

- Aryko

------------------
    System: Dell XPS233 P2-233, 96MB RAM, 4.3G HDD+Fujitsu 8.2G HDD, Matrox Marvel AGP 8MB/230Mhz Ramdac, SB PCI64 (née AudioPCI64), Zoltrix 56k, 32xNEC CDROM, S+F 6x2 CDR.

Your swap file may be too low try increasing it and play the file again.

Regards,
    Elie

Comment

Did this problem manifest itself after installation of the latest MediaPlayer?

BTW, is this MediaPlayer 6.2 Beta?

Comment

Did this problem manifest itself after installation of the latest MediaPlayer?

BTW, is this MediaPlayer 6.2 Beta?

Comment

Elie: I have 96MB RAM, and my computer is set up with a 50MB swapfile which it doesn't seem to use. I tried your suggestion however, and popped it up to 150MB, same problem.

miker: I think this is the latest version, yeah - the one that has .ASF support. Is there something in that?

- Aryko

Comment

i am pushing this topic to the top because it is so old and now i have the same problem.

I can play a file i captured, but then after i edit it with ulead, i can't play the edited file (ran out of memory).

I have the latest version of media player

did any one figure out the answer to this one?

Comment

You can run into this problem if you're not interleaving audio and video. If you're using MSP, it's under the video save options, advanced tab. Make sure it's enabled and the interleave set to 1.

I wonder how many other problems that has caused in this forum...?

Comment

Enough for me to have put it into the FAQ's a while back :

http://www.desktopvideoworld.com/FAQ/DTVW_faq_gen.htm

Comment

DrMordrid gave me the solution to this one, by putting my swap file on my 8 Gig drive. 150 MB was not big enough, so I set no lower/upper limits and let Windows decide on the 8 gig. Lots of thrashing, but it worked. I can't imagine how big the swap file got.

- Aryko

Comment

This Idiot:

thanks - the suggestion in the faq worked like a charm!

in fact, i didn't even have to go back to the source file. I just re-encoded the edited file which would not play with the changes (interlacing the audio), and it worked fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X