4th Time Spoiled - G400 Max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th Time Spoiled - G400 Max

Hi ! Like to share my problem with you guys. My G400 Max card again spoiled after I exchanged for the third time. This 4th card was working fine on my Win 98 with driver version 600 until I run it on W2K , I installed the W2K driver version 503 , all of a sudden after completed installing the driver - beep,beep - two sound only and everything goes black blank on my monitor.
    Anyone encounter the ame problem as me ?

Try to reseat the card on the AGP slot. Honestly. 3 cards in a row, either you arenĀ“t inserting them correctly, or your motherboard has a serious problem.

Comment

yeah, it's got to be your motherboard or powersupply. Impossible that your card would fail 4 times... Didn't it ring a bell that it could be something else than the card after the second time??

Comment

Not to disagree, but that wouldn't really explain why it happened *when* it happened...

At least as far as the 4th(!) time goes...

Comment

It is absolutely not the vid cards that are failing, as said before it's definately you mobo or P.S., it's pretty much impossible to get four bad cards in a row let alone two
          jim

edit:
          as far as when it's happening, it could be once the card has the right drivers it starts to make calls from the agp bus, I would almost bet it's the mobo

------------------
          P3-700e @ 1052! Check it here!
          Abit BE6-2
          TwinMos 128mb pc-133
          G400 32mb DH
          Maxtor 15.3gb 7,200rpm
          SB Live!
          Winblows 98se & DX7
          and 384k DSL!

[This message has been edited by DuRaNgO (edited 01 October 2000).]
          System 1:
          AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
          Epox 8K7A
          2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
          an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
          SBLIVE 5.1
          Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
          IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
          Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
          3Com Hardware Modem
          Teac 20/10/40 burner
          Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Yes, the motherboard is part of the problem. Just be careful, it may be that the PS is bad, and damaging the MB as well.

Is this what happens when the BIOS gets shot? Maybe there's an OC'ed AGP bus involved.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Try another video card, any crappy AGP card, see if it works with your system. As unlikely as it might seem, Matrox could have sent you the same card 4 times If that fails as well, then it is definitely your system.

Comment

DON'T burn another card in that slot.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Hey ! Guys ,

I'm using the MSI 6163 Pro mobo and the power supply is AMD certified 300W. Before I got this G400 MAX card (the first card) , I had been running with the i740 graphic card and no such problem , also because of this G400 MAX problem I bought an GeForce II MX card and no such problem too. I suspect is the W2K driver that is causing the wipe-out of the G400 Max card bios because for the 4th card I had been running Win 98 for coming to an month , everything was OK until last week I hook it into W2K and installed the driver and "pop !" the black-out start.
                  Anyone running W2K got this problem ???
                  In another message board , also quite a number of person having problem with their Matrox card too.

Comment

Could still be the ps or mb. There are no guarantees, solid gold or not. No one, except you, posting on this board has such a repeatable problem. The card is not the problem. Tell us how you install the drivers and uninstall the other cards drivers. That's a start. Try a different ps also. I think its more likely the ps than the mb.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 02 October 2000).]

Comment

You have a i740? Man where did you did that up from? The GF2 MX works in the same AGP socket in place of the G400? Could be your drivers, I replaced my G400 with a MX as well (because of configuration and driver issues) and I haven't any problems since. Maybe you should see if a friend has a G400 that he would be willing to lend you, see if the same thing happens.

Comment

LOL - make sure its a very good friend...

Comment

Haven't we had this discussion before sometime ago?
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Hi ! THE PIT ,

Yes , this had been discussed before but like I said it is for info.

Overall , I really doubt is the mobo or ps because like I said before the i740 and the MX card got no problem at all.

Comment

Norman - I suspect you're right and should you get yet a 5th board to try out and it works OK under Win9x, I'd suggest you modify your Win2K G400 driver pack before *manually* installing. Specifically: remove all references to "mgabg".

Comment

Working...
                              X