cough...(G800)...cough advices???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cough...(G800)...cough advices???

I really need help right now. I'm on a psychological edge... I wondering if I should buy a ATI Radeon 32 MB or wait a few weeks(6 weeks MAX) and Get a Millennium G800i... If any Matrox insider could post a message containing only "WAIT", I will wait for Matrox. If you think nothing will be available by then, just post "SOMEWHERE ELSE"...

Thanks,
    Francis Beausejour
    Frankymail@yahoo.com

------------------------------
    - A little P3 750 full of lOvin' at 1G with 256 of Micron PC133 Cas2 stud on a Asus CUSL2-M but stuck with a Vanilla G400 Inflatable doll... with Dual Sony CPD-410PS titties ! ! !
    What was necessary was done yesterday;
    We're currently working on the impossible;
    For miracles, we ask for a 24 hours notice ...

(Workstation)
    - Intel - Xeon X3210 @ 3.2 GHz on Asus P5E
    - 2x OCZ Gold DDR2-800 1 GB
    - ATI Radeon HD2900PRO & Matrox Millennium G550 PCIe
    - 2x Seagate B.11 500 GB GB SATA
    - ATI TV-Wonder 550 PCI-E
    (Server)
    - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.66 GHz on Asus P5L-MX
    - 2x Crucial DDR2-667 1GB
    - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB
    - 2x Maxtor D.10 200 GB SATA

Since Matrox has not announced any such product as yet, I would highly doubt they will release anything "next gen" in the next 6 weeks....
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Did you mistype?? Didn't you really mean 6 *months*??

JohnT

Comment

One of my coworkers just happened to be at a recruiting fair the other day and noticed that the Matrox booth was just across the hall from our booth. He talked to them, but he really did not pry them for many questions. He did get word that the G800 was coming out "soon". If I knew that he was going to be talking to the big M, I would have given him a huge list of questions to ask. ARGH!

I would consider it doubtful that G800's would be available within 6 weeks, though. Like Kruzin said, Matrox has not announced the product.

I would strongly advise you not to get an ATI Radeon, though.

It is stressful to wait, but I know I wouldn't be happy with an ATI or nVidia card in my system.

Comment

It will not be available in 6 weeks, even if they announced it yesterday.

If you have a g400, stay with it. It's a great card. The G800 will be out eventually. If we're lucky maybe they'll get it out by the first of the year. Anyway, I would definitely not recommend blowing the cash on the Radeon. AFAIK, there is nothing out there that requires anything better than a G400 to run, anyway.

amish

amish
          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

That's what I feared . . . no G800 soon. BTW, I know the G400 is a great card, and I have never regretted my purchase, but with some new games like Deus Ex, ground control and NOLF (and upcoming Halo which I preorder 5 months ago, counting the MilG800 would at least be annouced . . .), I can't play at more than 800x600x32 bits with all eye-candies maxed-out, which is really a shame for my eyes and monitors . . . But your right, I will not buy any ATI card (or any nVIDIA card for sure!).

Thanks,
            Francis Beausejour
            Frankymail@yahoo.com

------------------------------
            - A little P3 750 full of lOvin' at 1G with 256 of Micron PC133 Cas2 stud on a Asus CUSL2-M but stuck with a Vanilla G400 Inflatable doll... with Dual Sony CPD-410PS titties ! ! !
            What was necessary was done yesterday;
            We're currently working on the impossible;
            For miracles, we ask for a 24 hours notice ...

(Workstation)
            - Intel - Xeon X3210 @ 3.2 GHz on Asus P5E
            - 2x OCZ Gold DDR2-800 1 GB
            - ATI Radeon HD2900PRO & Matrox Millennium G550 PCIe
            - 2x Seagate B.11 500 GB GB SATA
            - ATI TV-Wonder 550 PCI-E
            (Server)
            - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.66 GHz on Asus P5L-MX
            - 2x Crucial DDR2-667 1GB
            - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB
            - 2x Maxtor D.10 200 GB SATA

Comment

I would go for the 64MB DDR Radeon VIVO if I were you, but that's my point of view.

------------------
              I like to con people, but I also like to insult them. What if I could combine the two, I would call it - Consult !

Comment

What is wrong in deusEX while playng it in 1200x1024x32 ?!? I have ASUS MoBo + duron700 + G400 MAX DH and everything is good enough. Maybe if there is lot of surfaces with reflexion, then speed go under 30fps.
                btw. I play deus only from yesterday 8-)
                ASUS A7V ||| Duron 800@1070 ||| TITAN Majesty -> cooling unit ||| 256Mb PC133 ||| G400 DH MAX ||| SB Live! 1024 ||| IBM 25Gb ||| HP Writer 7100 ||| DVD AOpen 1040 (flash Pionner) ||| Win2k
                -------------------------------
                Only one thing is missing in my life. Save button. (bad English I know...)

Comment

If I were to recommend a non Matrox card to someone it would have to be a GeForce 2 MX. It makes no sense buying an expensive non Matrox card imho. Might as well spend big money on proper quality.
                  [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                  Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                  Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                  Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                  Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

The MX is not very well engineered. Pass it up.
                    http://www.geocities.com/porotuner/imagequality.html

Comment

At least there's a proven fix for it

AND you can turn it into a QuadroMXR! http://www.geocities.com/porotuner/quadro2mod.html

Comment

NVidia's problem with 2D image quality seems to be partly down to the fact that they are not a card manufacturer. Maybe they should tidy up their reference design...

frankymail: Personally. I'm not going to worry about a new card until Black and White (thankfully delayed until early 2001..) is released and it becomes clear what chipset has the most solid support for DX8 features. Being a Deus Ex fan, I can sympathise with your situation, but DE is a bit of a dog running under anything other than Glide. Make sure you have grabbed the beta D3D .dll. Performance is a lot better with it.Also, try putting World Texture Detail to maximum, but get rid of Detail Textures. And that is all I shall say, or it's off to Matrox Gaming for me...

Comment

Originally posted by DentyCracker:
                          If I were to recommend a non Matrox card to someone it would have to be a GeForce 2 MX. It makes no sense buying an expensive non Matrox card imho. Might as well spend big money on proper quality.
                          A better bet would be the Radeon 32 SDR. It's much faster and generally better and priced about the same.

Comment

pchoi,
                            so you're willing to "solder" pieces onto a vid card for almost matrox visual quality but you couldn't fix your g400?

there's innovation
                            System 1:
                            AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                            Epox 8K7A
                            2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                            an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                            SBLIVE 5.1
                            Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                            IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                            Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                            3Com Hardware Modem
                            Teac 20/10/40 burner
                            Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

*shrug*

If there was a driver hack for the G400 that would increase image quality, and turn it into a workstation capable card, would you do it? If you could solder your G400, and turn it into a G400MAX with crazy T&L settings, would you do it?

If someone came up with that, I'd do the mod to my G400 and throw it back in my case in a second.

Yes, I do think that's pretty innovative. This guy figured out which resisters/capacitators to remove to improve quality and performance of his card. He didn't play with the drivers, he didn't have to reseat the card in it's slot, and he didn't play with the settings in BIOS on his computer. He took a risk, made some changes that he reasoned would work, and it did! How many of us are willing to do that? It may not be exactly 100% "innovative" but it sure took some brains and guts to do what he did.

I'm just pointing that out, that's all... why are you so defensive?

[This message has been edited by pchoi (edited 26 September 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                              X