Marvel G200 - NTSC-PAL Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel G200 - NTSC-PAL Conversion

My problem is that i am playing an NTSC VHS tape in a PAL video recorder (capable of NTSC playback) and won't to convert it to PAL (by re-recording it onto another video player)

is there anyway of doing this using the marvel g200 or is there any software out there that can help me with this

any information would be appreciated

Thanx

Lee Sands

The "search" link (upper-right corner) is a very cool thing...<a href="http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002836.html">http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002836.html</a>.

Comment

PAL VCRs when they offer NTSC don't really output NTSC. What they offer is Quasi NTSC. This is not pure NTSC and is unlikely to get detected by Video Tools as an NTSC video signal but you could try it.

Look at http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002836.html
      for information on NTSC/PAL conversion

Comment

As said in the PAL to NTSC thread, set Vidtools input to one standard, and play fullscreen output to another standard. I do this quite often with plenty of success -- you might have to tweak the colors some, but that's about all.

As for NTSC playback in a PAL vcr, I have a PAL that will do quasi-NTSC. The output does not work on my NTSC TV and neither my RR-S nor Marvel will autodetect it as NTSC. The neat thing is that if I manually set VidTools to NTSC, it works fine playing the NTSC Tape in the Pal VCR.

Todd

Comment

This may be a really dumb observation/comment, however your subject line specifies that you're looking for a 'conversion'. Your text then reads '...I'm playing a ...tape in a ... vcr...and want to ...re-record it onto another vcr' (essentially).
          Since you don't mention anything about 'capturing' or 'editing' this sounds like a staight copy simply to convert formats. Why not simply connect the two vcr's together??
          You can stop laughing and disregard this message if I've completely missed the point. In which case, refer to all the good previous advice
          PII350, MarvelG200, MSP5.2, PromiseFT w/2x8.4's, SB-PCI128

Comment

NTSC and PAL are incompatible standards. They have different number of lines and framerates. You can use framebuffers to convert between standards or you can use the Marvel. NTSC uses 525 lines of which 480 are visible with a refresh rate of 29.97Hz. PAL uses 625 lines of which 575 are picture with a refresh rate of 25Hz. NTSC normally uses a colour carrier of 3.58MHZ where PAL uses 4.43MHz.

Comment

salacious: Thx for the explanation (which I assume is directed to me).
              I am actually quite aware of the differences between the two standards, but I was thrown off by the original comments. "Lee" is "...playing an NTSC VHS tape in a PAL video recorder (capable of NTSC playback)". I somehow assumed that since the deck itself is PAL, it must be producing a PAL output, and therefore making the 'convertion' of the NTSC tape internally. If the output *was* PAL, it should be simple enough to record it on another deck. Obviously this PAL deck must be able to produce NTSC output from the NTSC tape without doing any convertion.
              Sorry, I don't work with PAL at all, and have never heard of a deck that had this capability.

less-than-graciously-bowing-out-now......Rob

One last thought of interest....doesn't the PAL equipment use a different physical connector than the BNC/COAX used by NTSC?? If that's the case, does the PAL deck then have two sets of output connectors?? Just curious...Once again, I may be completely wrong here.
              PII350, MarvelG200, MSP5.2, PromiseFT w/2x8.4's, SB-PCI128

Comment

Working...
              X