Impossible to use G400DualHead on Win2k with Athlon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impossible to use G400DualHead on Win2k with Athlon

Am engineer and I have spent lot of hours trying to make the DualHead to work under Win2000 (SP1) using Athlon 800 CPU on ASUS K7V motherboard. Just after starting Windows 2000 screen, I will get lots of blue vertical lines and stays there.

I have tried all versions of G400 Win2k drivers from www.matrox.com site (beta and certified).

The 32mb dual head model is "G4+MDH4A32G". Is there known issue?

Not that I´m aware off. I run an Athlon 700+G400 DH+win2k SP1 without any problems.

Try to update the motherboard bios. Try to run the G400 at AGP 1x or 2x to troubleshoot (assuming you´re running it at APG 4x, both the mobo and video card are 4x capable)

Comment

Yeah, I have tried 1x AGP speed too. Is your DH card exactly the same as mine? G4+MDH4A32G ??

Norman

Comment

It won't make a difference which G400 varient is used, all work on Athlon platforms (tho some better than others
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

If you haven't already, make sure you set the registry switch described here:
          http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q270/7/15.ASP

Comment

you did uninstall ALL drivers from any previous vid card right?
            System 1:
            AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
            Epox 8K7A
            2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
            an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
            SBLIVE 5.1
            Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
            IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
            Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
            3Com Hardware Modem
            Teac 20/10/40 burner
            Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Yep, I always uninstalled drivers first before trying other drivers. (Removing from hardware list -and- uninstalling software).

Also I have already tried the Athlon/AGP fix from Microsoft.

I noticed that there is shared IRQ 9 among USB, ACPI, G400, and LiveBlaster cards. It is not adjustable as the CHANGE SETTINGS is grayed out on all of those devices. So, do you have shared IRQs on your G400 card?

Norman

Comment

nswilliams:
                No I have the earlier version not AGP 4x capable.
                The IRQ´s stuff is normal if your win2k installed the ACPI kernel. All PCI devices actually share the same IRQ in ACPI specifications. Do a search in the fori and you will be enlightned about it.

Tell us more about your problem. Is that a fresh win2k install? Did you upgrade the video card? Have you tried to reinstall the OS or do a repair procedure?

Comment

Hello,

I had a problem when I first installed WIndows 2k on my K7V too.

When I would boot up Win 2k, the computer rebooted when I arrived at the startup screen.

I disabled DRAM Interleave un my bios and it got it working fine.

I actually don't really know what it does I admit it but I saw it on a site and well it worked!

I know it's not exactly the same thing but it's worth a try

Sicna

------------------
                  Asus K7V
                  Athlon 750Mhz
                  1 X 256 megs Kingston PC 133 Mhz CAS 3-2-2
                  Matrox G400 MAX
                  Soundblaster Live
                  Windows ME & 2000 Professionnal

What kind of party is this. No booze and only one hooker. -Bender
                  Asus K7V
                  Athlon 750Mhz
                  Matrox G400 MAX
                  Soundblaster Live

What kind of party is this. There's no booze and only one hooker. -Bender

Comment

Hello,

I had a problem when I first installed WIndows 2k on my K7V too.

When I would boot up Win 2k, the computer rebooted when I arrived at the startup screen.

I disabled DRAM Interleave un my bios and it got it working fine.

I actually don't really know what it does I admit it but I saw it on a site and well it worked!

I know it's not exactly the same thing but it's worth a try

Sicna

------------------
                    Asus K7V
                    Athlon 750Mhz
                    Matrox G400 MAX
                    Soundblaster Live

What kind of party is this. No booze and only one hooker. -Bender
                    Asus K7V
                    Athlon 750Mhz
                    Matrox G400 MAX
                    Soundblaster Live

What kind of party is this. There's no booze and only one hooker. -Bender

Comment

I'm not sure I fully understand your problem...

Are you trying to set up a G400 in win2k and simply can't get it working, or do you have the card working, but can't enable the DualHead feature?

If you can't get the card functioning at all, then you may not have the correct viaagp.sys. If you don't replace the viaagp.sys file with via's, once you install the drivers it will freeze when it switches to the final resolution during bootup.

I had to do this and have not had a problem since. I upgraded to the latest Win2k drivers a few days ago without a hitch. DualHead works fine - both multi-display and clone.

Cerb

------------------
                      Athlon 700
                      ASUS K7V
                      192Mb RAM
                      32Mb G400 DH (Win2k driver ver 5.04... I think. :-)
                      SBLive! Value
                      26.4GB Total HDD
                      Actima 8xDVD
                      LG 32x4x4x CD-RW
                      CTX VL950T 19"

Installed and running sweet as. :-)
                      <i>Shampoo is better! I go on first and clean the hair!</i>

Athlon 700, K7V, 192Mb RAM, 32Mb G400 DH (v5.52), SBLive!, 26.4GB HDD, Win2k Pro, Actima 8xDVD, LG 32x4x4x CD-RW, CTX VL950T 19"

Comment

I think it would be motherboard related (not necessarily it's fault, but the problem I believe is somehow related to it) since I have used both a G400 Dualhead 32mb (very early version) and G400 Max (thanks jdpc!) with dualhead in W2k no problem.

I use a Gigabyte 7IXE (AMD 750) w/ Athlon 700 Classic and 256mb PC100 Hyundai.

Comment

Cerb,

You were a *BIG* help to solved my problem. I used other card for a while until I could solve the problem first. My problem was a old version of viaagb.sys. At first, the SETUP program from ASUS web site seems did not update the driver (I verified the driver date). So I went to the hardware setup and selected CPU to AGP device and updated the driver from there. It finally updated and I replaced my other VGA card to DualHead. BINGO! It worked!

HURRAY!!!!

Perhaps, this info should be in FAQ on Matrox site to solve other users problem?

Norman

Comment

Working...
                          X