This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400's... and why I'm not pro-nvidia

I seriously did have those problems. If you look in the Matrox Gaming forum you will see some of the problems I had with getting Elite Force and Half-Life to run. It was an OGL subsystem error and it was caused by SOMETHING wrong with the Matrox card. I run a pretty powerful workstation, and all my PCI slots are filled. I have 8 drives, 5 hard drives and 3 CD-ROMs.

Heck just do a search for my user name, I have never posted stuff about nvidia before, nor did I just register this nick to be a troll.

I am not a nvidia fan. I wanted something that would work and not give me any headaches, I get enough of those at work. On the Elite Force forum, my nick is "superdx". Look for my posts and you'll see I genuinely tried to resolve the G400 problems but seeing as Raven couldn't get off their butts to look into the problem, I decided that it would be one heck of a long time before I got EF to work with the G400.

I waited for the G800 but it's too far away. I don't want to not play any games just because of restrictions and problems with my hardware.

My system specs:

P3-450
    192MB SDRAM
    ABIT BH6
    Sony E400 19" FD Trinitron
    G400 32MB DH
    SB Live! Value
    Adaptec 2940U USCSI controller
    Pioneer 6X DVD SCSI
    Plextor 4/12X CD-R
    Kenwood 72X EIDE
    4GB UW-SCSI
    9GB UW-SCSI
    13GB EIDE
    20GB EIDE
    60GB EIDE
    2 Linksys NIC's

And I got enough of those "there are problems between the chair and the keyboard" at the Raven site. I've built my computer from ground up, and I know it inside out. I can install the latest drivers just as well as the next geek and probably have enough experience modifying the registry to make you run around in circles. When the G800 comes out, and it doesn't have any problems, I will buy that. I bought the GeForce2 MX because it was cheap and it would do the job. I looked at the G450 but found it was even slower than my G400 so I took it out of the equation. That's all, I just did my research and found a suitable card for the price and performance. If ATI, 3DFx or even Matrox had a product that matched it, then I would have gone for that. Research doesn't make a nvidia fan/zealot whatever you call them!

And as for the moderator saying that I only have 12 posts: Um, on the honda-acura.net boards many people are criticized for asking the same questions twice. Like many people there, I do an extensive search of the exisiting messages before posting so I can see if my problem has already been fixed! 12 posts mean nothing and please do not bash me for that. Just because I can silently read and gain information doesn't mean I have to POST to get information. It's a two-way street and I hope you do realize that!

[This message has been edited by pchoi (edited 24 September 2000).]

Unfortunately if you say anything good about Nvidia on this board you are immediately thought of as a troll and an Matrox basher. Even if you state honest facts/opinions you WILL be immediately bashed. Just loog at the UT 2nd CD post for example....
    C:\DOS
    C:\DOS\RUN
    \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

If you've read enough on these boards, you would realize that you're simply flame baiting and your threads will be locked or moved to The Soap Box Forum. I think the point that was being made was that you didn't make a concerted effort to resolve your problems via a dialog with the MURC community. If you're interested in resolving your problems with the G400, thoroughly describe your environment and symptoms and be open to suggestions. If you just want to whine that the G400 sucks and some other board works great for you, take it to the Soap Box.

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 24 September 2000).]
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Only good advice I can offer is that you tell the truth and aren't afraid to tell it and ignore the Nvidia Bashers then this Forum is pretty good.
        \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

common guys !..enugh of this s..t !
          like I said before ENYOJ your NEW BLESSING NVIDIA card wich will be old in 2 months..then what ?..ahhhh yes GFORCE GTSSTT MPX & 2 moths later GFORCE ZTP HPTXTS..& after month..well who knowes...

IF ALL OF YOUR PROBLEMS ARE SOLWED NOW..BE HAAAPPY !..dont flame us PLEASE !..we all knowe the power of GFORCES but the POWER only is not enugh for me..
          PIII650@806(fsb@124),ASUS P3B-F,128mb,Matrox Mill-G400 32SH,SB.Live!vlue ,IntelliMouse Explorer

Comment

I rather think that pchoi was just pointing out one way to fix hardware problems: get different hardware.

Hey, sometimes stuff just doesn't work, or the balancing act to get it to work is not worth the couple hundred bucks to replace the problem component.

Anyone who has owned an Abit BP6 motherboard (as I have) would know this. Neat hardware, but often too much trouble for use as a workstation. It's happily performing server duties now though, and is very stable doing just that.

A lot of people in this forum are obviously very insecure, otherwise why jump on someone who's made the switch from a G400 to an nVidia card so hard? Are we feeling insecure about our decision to stay with the G400, maybe because though it is so outdated? hmm?

Well, I like my G400. It does what I need it to do. I apreciate the stability. It has it's own problems of course, but overall, I like it. That's why there is a 32 meg DDR ATi Radeon still in it's box on my desk - and that's where it is staying: in the box. Someone with different needs from their computer than I would think I'm nuts. That's fine.

Don't make the mistake that the Linux zealots do: your computer is a tool. Nothing more. It is not a religion. Do not take it so personally when someone's computing needs are filled by different hardware than yours are. This is why there is more than one video card! duh!

But then, I see we are operating under the theory that more posts = more brains, so I obviously don't know shit.

------------------
            Cory Grimster
            cory@houseofstuff.net http://www.houseofstuff.net

Edit: They told me in grade school to proof read before hiting "submit." You'd think it would have sunk in by now...

[This message has been edited by ph0rk (edited 24 September 2000).]
            Cory Grimster
            <A HREF="http://www.houseofhelp.com"TARGET=_blank>www.houseofhelp. com</A>
            <A HREF="http://www.2cpu.com"TARGET=_blank>www.2cpu.com</A>

Comment

Well, I wasn't quite comfortable with my post and I was just coming back to delete it when I saw it was too late since there was already many follow-ups. I'm certainly not a zealot of any HW or SW. I buy what makes sense to fit my needs and how well it fits into the entire system currently and the near future. I'm all for open debate in this forum about the pros and cons of various Matrox HW and its competitors. I also know that the MURC community is very sensitive about Matrox bashing and one had better have legitimate analysis of the subject HW. Again, I believe the argument was that pchoi hadn't taken the proper steps in the MURC forums to try and resolve his/her problems and he/she had jumped to the conclusion that the problem was the G400.

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 24 September 2000).]
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

No, it's just people like DosFreak who get flamed. They do nothing but tell us how inadequate our hardware is, and expect us to keep our mouths shut. I don't seee it that way. We run our hardware, and we know how well it does or doesn't work. We don't need DosFreak and others telling us that the GeForce is faster. We already know this. The problem with Picachu' is that you really didn't give us anything to work with really. Now you are telling us you had busmastering disabled, and other things. I think it would have been somewhat important to know things such as this. But Oh well, have fun with your new card, and I hope you enjoy throwing money out the window like that.

Rags

Comment

We have a number of intelligent contributing users who run nVidia cards. That's not an issue.
                  The issue of your last thread was the way you presented yourself, what you said and how you said it.

First you stated you had some problems. Fine. Everone has problems from time to time, and that's what this forum is here for...to help each other in a constructive way solve problems.

Then you tossed in a snide remark. Flame bait pure and simple:
                  "I finally resolevd every single last one of them: I bought a GeForce2 MX."

Regardless of what you tried on your own, you only tried to adress one issue in one game here. You don't have threads requesting help for the majority of your list of problems. 12 posts is not enough to justify throwing in the towel claiming to have tried it all.

In your next sentence you make claims to the speed of the GeWhiz. Wow....we didn't know that! GeGolly is faster than a G400? And with the Busmastering disabled on the G400 to boot? Amazing. What a news flash.
                  I don't suppose it occured to you to post a query and try to resolve your busmastering issue. No wonder your software wouldn't run right. You don't mention this little tidbit in your single thread in the game forum.

Then you tossed out a little more flame bait:
                  "I suggest those of you with problems on your G400 to replace it. There's no point in struggling with inherent hardware problems that there are simply no easy fixes for."

So your best solution is not to try to work through the problem, but to throw more money at it. Not much of an option in my book. You shoulda given me that money, and I could have had your G400 running in no time, because your claim to "no easy fixes" is bunk. They are all easy fixes, you just have to know what they are. It's usually a simple configuration issue. But hey....a lot of people have more dollars than cents, so if tossing out good money after bad is what you want to do, go for it. But don't suggest that this is a viable solution to solve a problem that could have been solved without spending a dime.

If you had lurked here 1/4 of what you claim to have, you would know that what you posted was flame bait, and that you would be labed "Troll of the Week". Next time, try to post something constructive, or don't post at all.
                  Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Bah, I still love ya Rags.
                    \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Hey DosFreak, was that you that used to have the signature file that went something like this:

C:\DOS\Run
                      Run, DOS, Run!

?

Damn, that cracked me up
                      Cory Grimster
                      <A HREF="http://www.houseofhelp.com"TARGET=_blank>www.houseofhelp. com</A>
                      <A HREF="http://www.2cpu.com"TARGET=_blank>www.2cpu.com</A>

Comment

Not only all of that (I second Kruzin and Rags) but if you check in the General Hardware forum you'll discover a link to a fella that did some tests and showed that for 99% of things the GeForce2 MX is SLOWER than a G400. Funny stuff, eh?

- Gurm

P.S. I'm too lazy to link the darn article. Read it for yourself.

------------------
                        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

Yep, that's me!

I can't take credit for it unfortunately.

I saw it on the Simpson's and it stuck ever since.

------------------
                          \RUN\DOS\RUN
                          \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Am i a constructive nVidia user?

nVidia Hardware is pretty sound, and is fast, its just the users and the PR team... well thats a different story...

pchoi, sometime stuff just wont work, and i understand this. the reason you got flamed is that you posted flame bait... Sometimes you just have to be careful how you work stuff... Thats all. Hope you enjoy your G800, when it comes out.

Comment

Heh...I'm cool with Matrox and everything, but saying that a G400 is faster than a GeForce 2 MX in 99% of tasks is just living in denial. Unless you mean 2D, I highly doubt it.

Gotta have some pretty extreme conditions (E.G. running the test on a K6-233) to make that happen

------------------
                              Intel Celeron II 900mhz
                              Abit BE6-II
                              128MB CL-2 RAM
                              Matrox G400MAX
                              Diamond MX300

[This message has been edited by Zuofu (edited 25 September 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                              X