G200 today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G200 today

Hi! I'm sort of between cards now that I sold my MAX (waiting for G800) and I thought of buying a really cheap G200 until Matrox decides to do something about it. What's the state of G200 today? Does it work with KT133? Can you still play anything 3D - I mean, the new stuff - on it?
    Thanks.
    Asus A7V, Duron 600@900, 192MB PC133@100, G200, Guillemot MUSE, etc.

Don't know any reason why not. Just be sure to use the latest drivers for the G200 from Matrox's website and the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers. I would test it out for you on my system but I think the kids might get upset if I was to pull it out of their system.

Joel
    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Hi Livius
      I have a Millenium G200 and it runs the current crop of games pretty well.Just don't go above 800x600.Since you'll be downgrading from the G400,you'll probably find the G200 to be very slow compared to the G400,but on it's own,I feel that its still a very good!
      Cheers
      Ovi

Comment

I have a feeling that G450 OEM versions are going to be as cheap as G200's, dunno, we will have to wait and see.

Rags

Comment

Well, I'm paying $50 for a 16MB Millennium G200 and I doubt the OEM G450 can beat that price... But if the G200 can do the current crop of games (I don't really play 3D games a lot, but sometimes I do get the taste of something like DeusEX), maybe I'll keep it even longer.

Comment

What about DVD? Any problems? Should I use the Matrox player, or is stuff like WinDVD or the Cyberlink DVD good enough? (I have a Duron 600@702)?

You know, the more I talk about the G200 the more it brings wonderful memories of my first and most cherished Matrox card...

Comment

Don't want to start rumor mill again, but two months ago I saw preorder price on G450 16mb PCI (for HP Vectra) and it was $52. Its really low, and I don't understand how the retailer can set the price on non-existent cards, but I saw it. Though with Duron 600 prices starting at $49 anything can happen

Comment

From what I understand, the OEM version is going to be so cheap I can't see any reason to even consider a G200. But only the next couple of weeks will tell.

Rags

Comment

(Greebe giggles)
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

C'mon, guys, what are you doing to me!

Comment

When the Beta Testers start giggling, my ears perk up.

Paul
                      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Hi,
                        G200 working fine here in A7V+Duron700@900. Quake3 in 800x600 vertex lighting is very playable. No problems with Vampire, NFS5...
                        They run fine.
                        Chris

Comment

If you can tide along with a REALLY cheap (i.e. S3 Trio/3D (what 3D? ) or similar) go for that 'till the g450 is out - you probably wont be spending much more than you hoped for anyhow.

------------------
                          Cheers,
                          Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Joel, of course the G450 has better performance than the G200, it´s just a tad slower than the G400.

I owned a G200 for two years and I was very happy with it. I sold it for 8500 Escudos (39 US Dollars) last Friday, and it´s a MGA-G200 OEM. I never thought I could sell it at that price. Meanwhile, I had arleady bought a G400. I must say that the G200 is a damn good card and it still plays fairly well actual games, specially if you have a 450Mhz or up processor, to squeeze out everything the card can give. Sticking to 800x600 helps, too.

------------------
                            "I wish I was a witch...
                            ...to shove my broomstick right up your *ss."

Comment

So will there be a G450 PCI version soon?!

I am looking a for good pci card for a second monitor to go with my G400 Marvel. I am using a SiS card but it totally sucks. I was thinking about picking up a G200 SD pci but the G450 sounds exactly what I need (for DVD) on my second monitor.

Comment

Working...
                              X