Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win ME and new 6.04 drivers

I've a strange ME behaviour:

If I activate Active Desktop (Control Panel, Display, WEB, "show WEB content on my Active Desktop), Win ME starts opening Desktop, Icons, taskbar AND sends a message "number 27" telling that "the application is already running" (nothing more to better understand what is happening).

I "press "the OK button (the only one available) and the system starts without any other problem.

If I deactivate Active Desktop nothing strange happens.

I've initially upgraded from Win 98 SE; after this behaviour I formatted C: and installed WIN ME but it happens again.

If I uninstall Matrox drivers (using my G400 MAX as a standard vga) ALL is good, so I've the feeling that something is done both by WIN ME Active Desktop initialization and Matrox drivers.

P3BF
    PIII 650
    RAM 256 Mb
    2 x IBM 15 Gb
    G400 Max + RRG
    SB Live
    Digicom V90 ISA Modem

Many thanks for any help

Lorenzo - Italy

Sounds like a bug in ME (bugging ME! LOL
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Greebe, I've got a can of RAID to sort you out. LOL

Comment

Who said I was being bugged by Me, it's not on any of my systems
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

I suppose if I were to suggest something radical, like, say, turning off Active Desktop, I'd preobably get stoned for being smart ass.

IMHO, anyone silly enough (no offense, I use it for gaming too!) to be running a Win9x varient deserves whatever they get.

It seems somewhat akin (to me, anyways) to jumping off a bridge and asking why you broke both legs when you hit the ground.

Greebe, you're just too funny for your own good

------------------
          Cory Grimster
          cory@houseofstuff.net
          http://www.houseofstuff.net
          Cory Grimster
          <A HREF="http://www.houseofhelp.com"TARGET=_blank>www.houseofhelp. com</A>
          <A HREF="http://www.2cpu.com"TARGET=_blank>www.2cpu.com</A>

Comment

I can see it now, if they called it WinYOU and then complained to M$ about active desktop it would sound appropriate.

But sadly they didn't.

So your email would read:

Active Desktop doesn't work correct in Win9x and now it's Me.
            When are you going to fix Me?

Cheese!

Comment

Sorry, I don't know much about ME, but i've heard plenty of horror stories...

I would disable Active Desktop and see if that helps.

amish
              Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

It does sound like some odd bug, so I vote for turning it off as well. I always disable it in Windows 98. (Not that I get a vote.)

If you want to put a JPEG or GIF on your desktop, you could always convert it to a bitmap, and then Active Desktop doesn't have to be enabled.

I'm reminded of the old joke -

Patient: Doctor! Doctor! It hurts when I do this.

Doctor: Well, don't do that.

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

End of the history (it's NOT a joke!!!):

I've contacted MS tech suport, as suggested by Matrox tech support.

This is the "problem determination":

Myself: I receive an error message.....
                  MS TechSupp: ohh, I've never seen this message, are you sure?
                  Myself: Yes, I'm sure.
                  MS TechSupp: I understand.. but Sir, are you sure you need Active Desktop? If you don't really need it, don't use it, so you solve your problem.
                  Myself: many thanks and ciao (bye in italian language).

Note: I've contacted Italian Tech Support, speaking Italian, so no language misunderstanding...

END OF MY HISTORY

Lorenzo - Italy

Comment

I'm running WindowsME and I have active desktop enabled, because I am using one of the G800 grounds that were posted, and I have not had any problems so far. Of course my install of WindowME was done clean instead of as an upgrade.

Joel
                    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Active Desktop? What's an Active Desktop? One that goes out and rules the night?

Rags - United States

Comment

Ciao lorenzo!
                        I ve ME with Active Desktop running, 6.04 drivers installed and all works fine!
                        My advice is: Try to format and re-install the OS
                        ATHLON XP 2600; Abit KX7-333Raid; 1GB SDRAM DDR PC-3200 Corsair XMS; Matrox Parhelia AGP 256; HITACHI 7K250 250GB; HITACHI 120GXP 120GB; HITACHI 120GXP 60GB; Sound Blaster Audigy 2; Plextor DVDRW PX-716A; Plextor CDRW Premium

Comment

I've solved my problem!!!

Logitech Mouseware SW was the problem!!!
                          To be honest, looking at the Logitech site, they say that this SW is not yet tested on ME; the solution is to remove Mouseware before upgrading to ME!! waiting for a new release.

Ciao to all of you

Lorenzo - Italy (Milano)

Comment

Working...
                          X