Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Install problem with G400 (upgrade from G200)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install problem with G400 (upgrade from G200)

(I've also posted this message on the Matrox
    forum but I'm assuming there are different crowds on both sites.)

Hi, I need some help!

I purchased a G400 which meant removing my old G200. I formatted C: and installed 98SE.
    Installed powerdesk 5.55.022 and videotools
    1.54.040. Both installed and after a reboot I was able to set my video settings to 1024*768, 85 khz 16bit color (previous settings on my G200, worked fine.) Managed to capture some video and tune a few channels.

On rebooting, windows 'hung' during loading (just showed a blinking cursor top left in the screen). I reset the system and it booted in safe mode. The display adapter was still identified as Marvel G400. I restarted and got into Windows via normal mode with this warning: 'there is a problem with your display settings. The adapter type is incorrect or the current settings do not work with your hardware.'

Obviously, they DID work just fine with my hardware but not once I rebooted.

So I reinstalled the system from scratch with the drivers and tools on the disk that came with the Marvel. Same result.

Funny thing: I have W2000 installed on my second hard disk and when I acces that the card works perfectly. No problems at all! (But I still want to use W98 because I play all my games there and my videosoftware doesn't work with W2000.)

My system:
    - AMD K6-2/350
    - Asus P5a board - I just updated the bios to rev 1007.a but obviously that wasn't the magic cure
    - 128 MB ram

Used to work just fine with a G200 european version. I tried a few more things but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Maybe you've got old VIA 4 in 1 drivers installed, which work with G200 but not G400 OR the 5.55 doesn't work well with P5a, in which case you could try 6.04 or go back to 5.2x.

------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team!
    View the exciting stats
    P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
    Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Hi Sisyfos,

The P5a motherboard does not seem to have VIA 4 in 1 drivers. I refer to http://www.asus.com/Products/Motherb...r_utility.html where the P5a mb and VIA drivers aren't listed together.

I'll try some different drivers, as you suggest. Thanks for the input so far!

Comment

Hi warnas
        If you haven't read it already, this thread may give you some hints.
        http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/009498.html

------------------
        Join the MURC SETI team!
        View the exciting stats
        P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
        Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Also, did you check what BIOS your G400 has? It's not really needed as far as I understand, but if you have difficulties with an older BIOS and a certain PD (drivers), you might want to try either a newer BIOS, or newer (or even older) drivers.

How to do this in an orderly manner, you can read here

Then again, you could have an IRQ problem as well, especially since Win2k doesn't care about IRQs that much. Can you give us your list of IRQs? Just for safe checking. Here's a rundown on how to do that

Jord.
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

The ASUS P5A uses a Chipset fron ALI not VIA.
            Try it there for Drvivers.
            Athlon800@920, ABIT KA7, G200 (waiting for G800)

Comment

The drivers you need can be found here. http://www.ali.com.tw

Standard AGP gart driver and IDE drivers. Let me know if you have trouble downloading them. I have a mirror that you can use if you need to.

Ian
              Primary System:
              MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
              120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
              Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
              Seccondary System:
              Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
              3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
              Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
              Tertiary system
              Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
              Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Updating the AGP driver and some modifications to the bios that Matrox tech support suggested were the solution to this problem. Thanks for all the suggestions!

See also http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/For...ML/002155.html (for future reference)

Comment

Working...
                X