Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Win2k Advanced Server, Dual pIII 450's and G400 MAX.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k Advanced Server, Dual pIII 450's and G400 MAX.

So how is this setup going to work??? I know SMP in games wont work, but i will still get the multi-tasking benifits of Dual Procs.
    Thx

It will work fine. Obviously not as fast as running W2k server, but you must need support for >4G of RAM or clustering to be bothered with the additional overhead.

Paul

Comment

Hmm, yes. Either that or Adv. Svr. is the only copy he could W4r3Z!

Sorry, couldn't resist. But please enlighten us as to why you feel the need to run advanced server?

- Gurm

------------------
      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Or he has friends at Microsoft that can get software at the employee discount, and it didn't cost much anyway...

AlgoRhythm

Comment

I work in the AF and I run AS as my home OS. There is no reason not to. There is no "overheard" or extra memory taken up if you do not load the extra server services. Windows 2000 AS is the just Windows 2000 Pro with more programs and support. In benchmarks I get EXACTLY the same scores as PRO, in memory usage I get EXACTLY the same memory usage as PRO. Like I said if you get it for free. RUN IT. I run it as my home OS because I like to experiement with things and I am helping to deploy Windows 2000 on the base. Why limit yourself by using a stripped down version of 2000 (PRO)? When you have the FULL version of 2000 that has more features?

Don't be jealous or accuse people of w@rezing products just because you don't have them.

C:\DOS
          C:\DOS\RUN
          \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

DosFreak:

Did I ever say anywhere that I don't have Advanced Server?

I just find it horribly inconvenient to spend hours of my time turning off features that I don't want on which DO take up more memory overhead. Your argument sounds suspiciously like the people who argue that you can install "Win9xLite" over the top of Win98SE and make it as stripped down as Win95!

Yes, it's possible to streamline Advanced Server and make it run like Pro. Or... you could install Pro right from the getgo.

Not to mention the known incompatibilities between certain pieces of hardware and Win2k server (lots of listed incompatibilities with Creative Labs hardware, Aureal hardware, etc.).

And, in addition, Advanced Server _is_ optimized for the larger memory sizes. This means that on a normal human machine (with 128 megs of RAM, say) it WILL be slower. Not on mine or yours, but then again I have close to a gigabyte of memory!

My response is part of a stock response. Nobody in their right mind ran a customized, tweaked version of NT4 server on their home machine, even people out for the MSCE's. Why, then, do people think it will be fun and cool to run Advanced Server? In a couple of months people will be begging us to tell them why their G400 doesn't work correctly with Datacenter Server. *sigh*

- Gurm

------------------
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Grum, i got it from work, and yes, the only reason i decieded to install it was to be super l33t.
              Heres the problem though, even with Win2k Pro im having massive problems. Something is not right in my little SMP world.

BTW, two of my friends are also running stripped down versions of Advanced Server very succesfully.

Hmm Datacenter... yeah, i see myself with 16gigs+ RAM and a cluster soon, so mayeb i SHOULD install that. j/k

Comment

Hmm, everyone I know who are getting their MCSE and CCNA's are running Server/AS on their home desktops/laptops. Mabye the people you know are paper MCSE's who are stil running 9x os's and don't even have test networks running NT4. Well I do plan on going somewhere in life and it definetly will not be the paper MCSE way. As for "stripped" down if you call disabling services stripping down an OS well then fine. I call it disabling services which are unneeded. Like I said I have done benchmarks between the 2. I have used the 2 since Beta 3. Have you? Don't comment unless you have run the 2 os's.

Oh and guess what? When NT4 Workstation/Server came out people did run them on their desktops. Why? Because the only real difference between the 2 are changes in the registry. I know my stuff man. Why? Because I run the stuff.

'Nuff said.
                \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Hmm, everyone I know who are getting their MCSE and CCNA's are running Server/AS on their home desktops/laptops.
                  Well, tell me who then, for as Gurm said, A/S IS optimized for memory above 1 Gb, up to how much you want to put into it (max is 32 Gb I thought).

You might mean that all your friends are running Windows 2000 <u>SERVER</u>?? That runs fine on 128Mb and better on 256Mb and above. Advanced Server is nice if you have a big corporate server, the PDC (Primary Domain Controller) from which you run the sub -server... I'm studying MCSE, and we've had info on this in the past 3 days and worked with it, so don't try me

Btw, before you start to say you run Windows 2000 DataCenter Server fine with your Cu-Mine and 256Mb RAM, I can tell you you won't even be able to run it without the next gen Pentium (Itanium?), some 8Gb RAM at minimum and a nice Striped with Parity RAID-5 with at least 32 hdd's...

Jord.
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

I've always used NT4 server on my home machine back then and now I'm running Windows 2000 Server (not Advanced though, I have no need for that).

IIS is not in W2k Professional and SQL server won't run on it either.

Comment

Well I already said 'Nuff said..

Yep, It's Advanced Server.
                      \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

IIS is in Pro.

Personally I think you's can run whatever OS you's want but I doubt there is a need for Advanced Server for you!

Pro will also give you SMP.

I plan to install Server later this week so I can share my fax modem and share my printers for 9x OSes.

Paul.

------------------
                        Pace3000 Network: (early stages)
                        Arena | Seti | P3K | TechSupport | Portal
                        Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
                        Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
                        Meet Jasmine.
                        flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

*sigh*

Every few months someone comes along and challenges my credentials. Fine. Here goes.

My first PC:

IBM 5150

My first OS:

CP/M

I've had EVERY OS and EVERY ITERATION since then. I've been programming (in ASSEMBLY language, not basic or some other pissass language) for over 20 years now.

Yes, I ran NT4 server. What I'm saying is that the 'tweaked' NT4 server builds (the ones designed for gigabytes of memory and terabytes of HDD space) weren't something anyone in their right mind ran. Lots of people ran server.

And there's no problem with running Win2k server. What I'm saying is that unless you're contriving the results, ADVANCED server is slower than server on normal human machines with the same specs and the same data sets running.

And yes, I've tried them both.

And I still don't know why you'd install Advanced server (other than to be 3733+) unless you needed clustering or gigabyte memory configurations.

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

So, anyone want to help me?

I get the same problems with Pro too, so its not the version of the OS thats the problem...

Win98 installs fine.

Comment

I have the full versions of Pro, Server and Adv Server (from MSDN). Under NT 4 there were certain reasons to run the Enterprise versions of server - primarily to run the enterprise versions of back office.

There is no sensible argument for running Adv Server unless you have more than 4G RAM (and have applications that use the additional API's), are running 5-8 processors, or need clustering (and that requires a fibre channel array to work). The enterprise versions of the new backoffice products work fine (running exchange 2000 enterprise on server with no problems).

Loading Adv Server otherwise seems to me to be a waste of time and space.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X