Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400/W98 Lockup - PowerDesk?

Hi,

I'm trying to provide remote support to my son who's changed his graphics card for a G400. We've got the card installed and can enter the W98 password however it then begins to play the opening music from the desktop theme before it then freezes. I'm guessing that the drivers have loaded OK as we can enter a password etc but I suspect that PD loads some small utility program that is conflicting with something. The only thing in my son's startup folder is McAfee Virus Scanner (v4.5)- do you think this is causing the problem?

We've tried both the latest and beta drivers with the same problem.

Thanks for any help.

Simon

did he remove the drivers of previous card before installing the matrox drivers?

Comment

Yes - old drivers removed.

Comment

Try bringing Win98 up in SafeMode. Make sure you don't have any device resource conflicts. Make sure the G400 has a dedicated IRQ ... 9 or above. You might want to check out the FAQ Archive.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

To help you out better, we need more specifics on his system besides it just having a G400 upgraded from another card. Get as much detail as you can.

Rags

Comment

More info as requested -
            The system is a Celeron 533 on a TMC TI6NBFV+ board. It has 64Mb of memory and this card is replacing a Savage 3 which has been uninstalled via the Device Manager.

What I want to do is manually install the drivers (minus the PowerDesk software) - does anyone know which files go where? Anyone got a better idea?

Comment

Sorted. I upgraded the VAI drivers and removed McAfee (which was probably the culprit).

It's now working.

Comment

Working...
              X