Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: are Millennium I, Aptiva compatible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: are Millennium I, Aptiva compatible?

Believe it or not, I've been tasked with installing an old Millennium I in a P-166 IBM Aptiva (both equally old) because the ATI chip on the motherboard went south. For some reason, Win98 hangs during bootup with the Millennium. It boots into Safe Mode okay tho.

Also, if I replace the PCI Millennium with an even older ATI ISA card, that one works okay.

Is this problem with the Millennium, its drivers (using the one that's in Win98 at present), or possibly some incompatibility with the Aptiva?

In safe mode how many display adapters do you have listed in your device manager?
    Remove all of them and reboot.

Comment

It may be that the aptiva is still seeing the vga of the ati card. Pull out the Millenium and disable the vga on it by the on board dip switch. Be carefull not put the dip switch to "unprotect bios".

Or, your ati drivers are still installed in your system.

Haig

Comment

Helio:

From Haig:
        Pull out the Millenium and disable the vga on it by the on board dip switch.
        He aint long winded, but he's only the chief of Matrox Tech support. :0) I'd try his suggestion.

Also, isn't there a jumper on the Aptiva's main board that will disable onboard VGA?
        Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
        CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
        Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

Jazz, tried that already. In fact I reinstalled 98 already too, it hung up detecting plug-n-play (for some reason it is not detecting the Millennium as Plug-n-play reliably or perhaps, at all). It was giving me yellow !'s for the Millennium until I detected the ATI on the motherboard with detect new hardware. It won't work at all with either alternate video board unless the original one is listed too. It was telling me there's a problem because the Millennium cannot do multiple displays under 98 too, at one point.

I am about to give up on this and use that old ISA card which at least works even if it is slower than the old chip on the motherboard was. Damn shame tho. Millennium was a nice 2D card in its day.

Comment

Working...
          X