I've been seduced!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been seduced!

I've gone ahead & ordered a Radeon All In Wonder. I've been holding out for some concrete information of what Matrox's next card was going to be, and when it is going to be available, but too much time has passed. The early reports show the Radeon AIW to have great 2d quality (on par with Matrox, according to the Sharky review), GF2 3D speed in 32bit, best in class DVD capabilities, cool TIVO capabilities, and some new DX8 features. The clincher was I ordered it for a great price.

I really wanted to hold out for the G800, but without any official clue as to what it would be, what it would cost, and when it would be available, I was afraid that it would be too little, too expensive, too late, or any combination of those. I'm still a little nervous about ATI's support, but the current drivers already appear to be good. They've made quite a turnaround with this product, and hopefully their support will too.

Do you think I'm a traitor? A fool? Both??

No, you´re probably just smart.

------------------
    "I wish I was a witch...
    ...to shove my broomstick right up your *ss."

Celeron 433 o/c´d to 459Mhz; Intel Atlanta 440LX o/c´d to 70.7 FSB (BIOS Rev. 14); 128 Mb SDRAM PC100; Soundblaster PCI 128; Matrox G400 16 Mb AGP at 146 Mhz + fan, o/c´d BIOS, 348 Mhz RAMDAC (thanx Hunsow); 4.3 Gb Western Digital Caviar; Iomega internal 100Mb Zip drive; Sony HMD-A200 17" Trinitron

Comment

you do know how to write your own drivers don't you?
      jim
      System 1:
      AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
      Epox 8K7A
      2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
      an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
      SBLIVE 5.1
      Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
      IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
      Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
      3Com Hardware Modem
      Teac 20/10/40 burner
      Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Yep. ATI=Decent hardware+Crappy drivers.
        They couldn´t figure it out how to write drivers supporting the Fury Maxx in win2k. Impossible they said. 3dfx proved it otherwise with the V5 5500.

Comment

Good Luck. Just found this on Hard|OCP:

Dear EMS Customer:
          We have just received word from our ATI product manager that ATI is having implementation difficulties with their new Radeon chipset. Distribution to all resellers, retail stores, and other outlets will be delayed due to these problems. We're sending this email to all of our customers who have ordered Radeon AllInWonder cards and Radeon standard cards. As soon as we receive stock from ATI, we will ship you your products and charge your credit card. You will not be charged for your product until it ships, but your order will remain open unless you choose to cancel. ATI estimates it will begin shipping cards to all its distributors worldwide in late September.

EMS Computing Sales Team http://www.emscomputing.com

That's ATI for ya.

amish
          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

Topic: You´ve been reduced!

Comment

Come on, people, the reviews are quite positive, and the drivers will (eventually???) improve...

------------------
              "I wish I was a witch...
              ...to shove my broomstick right up your *ss."

Celeron 433 o/c´d to 459Mhz; Intel Atlanta 440LX o/c´d to 70.7 FSB (BIOS Rev. 14); 128 Mb SDRAM PC100; Soundblaster PCI 128; Matrox G400 16 Mb AGP at 146 Mhz + fan, o/c´d BIOS, 348 Mhz RAMDAC (thanx Hunsow); 4.3 Gb Western Digital Caviar; Iomega internal 100Mb Zip drive; Sony HMD-A200 17" Trinitron

Comment

I think ATI will follow the path they took with the Fury Maxx. That one had no drivers for win2k....Radeon will only support win3.1
                Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Yeah, their past driver support history was my biggest concern. If the current drivers had any major bugs, I wouldn't have considered it. But since they already have decent drivers, and they already fixed an issue they had with some via chipsets, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Actually, if there's a big delay, that's ok with me. Gives me more time to monitor how people with existing cards are doing. I can always bail before it ships.

[This message has been edited by Darin (edited 31 August 2000).]

Comment

bail now before all the lifeboats are gone!!!

------------------
                    P3-700e @ 1052! Check it here!
                    Abit BE6-2
                    TwinMos 128mb pc-133
                    Matrox Fusion Plus F800 AGP with 64mb fcram
                    Maxtor 15.3gb 7,200rpm
                    SB Live!
                    Winblows 98se & DX7
                    and 384k DSL!
                    System 1:
                    AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                    Epox 8K7A
                    2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                    an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                    SBLIVE 5.1
                    Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                    IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                    Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                    3Com Hardware Modem
                    Teac 20/10/40 burner
                    Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Originally posted by Nuno:
                      Yep. ATI=Decent hardware+Crappy drivers.
                      They couldn´t figure it out how to write drivers supporting the Fury Maxx in win2k. Impossible they said. 3dfx proved it otherwise with the V5 5500.
                      The ATI Rage Fury Maxx and 3dfx Voodoo 5 5500 work in entirely different ways - The RF Maxx uses Alternate Frame Rendering (AFR), the V5 uses Scan Line Interleve (SLI). Apparently using the AFR method confuses Win2k into thinking it is two separate graphics cards.

Comment

Rogue, I´m by no means an expert, so I can´t tell if it could or couldn´t be done, but I can´t avoid the feeling that ATI press release had "lousy excuse" written all over it.

As fas as I can remember they explained it based on the way win2k enumerates the hardware devices, making video cards with two identical chips hard to deal with.

Comment

ok enough of this ati bashing, i had an ati card before my g400max and it was excllent for my needs inc drivers, darin just order this card ( i have ordered the 64mg) which costs a lot of cash and ur calling it shite ! btw

"ATI is having implementation difficulties with their new Radeon chipset"

could mean alot of things couldnt it ?

ok thats my rant done

Oracle

------------------
                          P3 600e @ 700 (6*115)
                          128mb 100mhz sdram
                          abit be6-2
                          matrox g400 max (160/213)
                          voodoo 3 2000 pci
                          soundblaster 16pci
                          4.3gb seagate udma 33
                          15.3 wd udma 66
                          creative modem blaster 56k ext
                          win 98
                          ie5/4
                          direct x 8 beta
                          pd 6.00beta
                          tgl 1.3
                          P3 600e @ 660 (6*110)
                          128mb 100mhz sdram
                          abit be6-2
                          Radeon 32ddr (biding time till the g800
                          voodoo 3 2000 pci (166)
                          soundblaster 16pci
                          4.3gb seagate udma 33
                          15.3 wd udma 66
                          creative modem blaster 56k ext
                          win me
                          ie5
                          direct x 8.0

Comment

Enough? No way!

<font size="+4">ATI=SH<dummy>IT</font>

OK my bashing is done.

------------------
                            ------------
                            ------

Comment

I'm at work right now using an ati card.
                              If I am reading the fuzzy blob just above this correctly, then I must say I agree.
                              chuck
                              Chuck
                              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                              X