• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G450- Review

Here you go.
    More over at Anandtech

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 05 September 2000).]
    Asus A7V133, Duron 750@847, 512mb PC133 Crucial RAM, G400 DH, Maxtor 7200rpm 40 & 15GB, Liteon 16/10/32, Samsung 12x DVD, SB-Live, D-Link NIC

Seems to be faster than the Max.

I believed all those predictions that it would be slower.

I should do a search on "slower" to find out who led me astray.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 05 September 2000).]

Comment

He did not run a Max in his tests.
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Actually, there are two reviews. The more comprehensive one also has Max scores. They are somewhere between 10-20% higher than the G450. It's somewhat of a disappointment, although it seems pretty obvious that the G450 is a great OEM card in terms of features. Nevertheless, I believe that the high price and the fact that it will make no impact on the gaming market (which is starting to become a good indicator of OEM success, it seems) will hamper the G450 even in this department.

Here are the two links (for German speakers): http://www.hartware.net/review.html?.../62.26.211.77/
        Any idea why both sites are German?
        Asus A7V, Duron 600@900, 192MB PC133@100, G200, Guillemot MUSE, etc.

Comment

I should have said it was faster than my Max. He got 3484 3D Marks in 3DMark2000 with a PIII 700 MHz.

Ace's Hardware has a review as well. I haven't read it yet:
          http://www.aceshardware.com/Spades/r...le_id=15000168

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Wow. Ace's hardware benched it slower than the vanilla. They conclude it's severely bandwidth limited.

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

It is a 'buisness card'... Just reminding everyone before the flame throwers get pointed at Matrox...

I think i need to get one though, as id rather run 2x 19in monitors in 1600x1200 each than 1280x1024 each.

Comment

GamePC has a review here:

http://www.gamepc.com/reviews/hardwa...ew=g450&page=1

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Anand also has a review - consistently out performed by vanilla but he points out it's not a gaming card.
                  www.anandtech.com

Uberlad

------------------
                  -------------------------
                  8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
                  5 out of 10 referred to me by name.
                  -------------------------
                  8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
                  5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Comment

Sorry to be the one saying it bu the G450 isn't a card, the G450 is an excuse. An excuse for making us wait more and more for the G800 - I sure hope they've innovated there cause currently ATi and nVIDIA are slapping us silly. I love matrox, but when people are asking me what is the curent best video card on the marked I must answer - nVIDI GeForce MX.

------------------
                    Cloudy
                    Asus P2B-DS, 2 x Celeron 400@75Mhz, 192Mb Ram, SB Live! Platinum,
                    2 x IBM 4.3Gb scsi,IBM 22GB IDE, Pioneer DVD ROM scsi, G400 32MB DH (Oc to 111.1%).
                    Cloudy
                    Asus P2B-DS, 2 x Celeron 450 (400@75Mhz), 192Mb Ram, SB Live! Platinum,
                    2 x IBM 4.3Gb scsi,IBM 22GB IDE, Pioneer DVD ROM scsi, G400 32MB DH.

Comment

Here's Sharky's "preview." They seemed to like it, making it their business choice:

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardwar..._g450_preview/

Paul
                      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I found it curious that the clock on the review samples is slower than the actual shipping version. Quoting Ace's:

The new process should allow the G450 to achieve higher clock speeds than the G400, but MGA Tweak (available at MURC) reported that the chip is running at 66 MHz, while the memory is running at 166 MHz. Powerstrip reported the same thing. I am not sure whether this is correct, because all Matrox says is that "the review sample runs at a slightly lower speed than the final production samples." It is more likely is that the chip runs at 125/166 MHz, just like the G400 did.
                        What was Matrox thinking? This brings up two immediate questions. 1) Will the first shipping cards really have a faster clock? and 2) What is the performance with the "real" clocking?

I hope we will get some answers. I was thinking of getting one, but not until I see benchmarks on the final shipping version.

RAB
                        AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

In Amand's test the Max outperforms the newer G450, whatever.

What I liked was that the Max beat the nVidia TNT Ultra2 in almost all of the tests and the Geforce in 2 or them. Oh yea, in your face nVidia!

JP
                          Workstation Specs:
                          Pentium 4 2 GHz, ASUSTek P4T-E i850, 1024 MB PC800 RDRAM, ATi Radeon 8500 64m, Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer, 3Com 3C905TX-C NIC, Western Digital 80g ATA100 HD, Sony 16x/40x DVD-ROM, Sony CD-RW 175S/C, 19" Sony 420GS, and Windows XP Pro.

Comment

"Adding more CPU power did not help, while NVIDIA's offerings appreciate the raw CPU power. The 64 bit interface is severely crippling the G450 here. We hope that, for Matrox sake, the G800 arrives soon. This kind of performance will certainly scare away 3D gaming enthusiasts and even home users who occasionally play such games will be uninterested."

"Many thanks to Marije Stijnen, Matrox UK for lending us the board."

No freebies here!

This card is exactly what I thought it would be, a good 100 dollar solution. You will have to wait until 2nd quarter 2001 for the 100$ price.

Why did it take so long? That is the mystery.

The geforce MX is a better buy if you do not need Dualhead.

Comment

*cough*, I agree.

Comment

Working...
                              X