Black lines around captured avi's!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black lines around captured avi's!

What ever i do i get an black border att top and at left of the clips i capture!
    Any one now how to fix this?
    Clipping the captured clip doesent work as the mjpeg codec somehow adds them back!
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

The black borders are part of the recording; they're usually an invisible part of the picture known as the "overscan" area around the edges of a normal TV. Most TV's have a mask around the edges that crops that part of the picture off.

In other words, it's normal, nothing's broken, and there's nothing to fix.

If you're going back to TV eventually, that part of the picture will once again be cropped off. Just ignore it.

If you're planning to make a web clip or a CD out of it, just try to ignore the border if it's not that big of a distraction. You'll save yourself a ton of headaches and many generations of video. If you do want to take the pains of cropping off the borders, you'll need to encode to a more flexible format such as Indeo or Cinepak, or perhaps MPEG-1 or -2.

Oh-- and the reason Matrox MJPEG won't let you clip the borders is because it's very particular about the frame size. We've explained this all a dozen times before, so you can hit the Search link in the upper-right hand corner and find it again, I'm sure. Try "overscan" as the text.

fluggo99

Comment

I remember when this topic last surfaced (or a few surfacings ago, anyway, I brought it up). Specifically, during some testing (extended TV viewing through PC-VCR), different programs and commercials had different displacements on the screen. That is, one TV show would be perfectly placed in the screen, while a commercial might be offset by a few pixels down and/or to the right. Grigory suggested that maybe this was a perfect way to have a program detect the presence of commercials... perhaps an automatic on/off switch for recording? Any takers?

- Aryko

Comment

I would expect that difference to come more from the equipment being used at the station, in production, etc. than the type of content. Besides, at the end of every movie, the screen usually goes black for the credits, but the movie isn't quite over. You couldn't detect it reliably at all.

Comment

fluggo99,

Doesn't the border bother you when you see it in a moving path. Overscan is a fine solution for full size clips, but as soon as you do a PnP or moving path with a clip, the black borders make the video look very amateur.

-Anthony
          Anthony
          • Slot 1 Celeron 400, Asus P2B, 256MB PC-100
          • AGP Marvel-TV 8MB NTSC
          • Turtle Beach Montego PCI sound card
          • C: IBM 10.1, 5400, Primary on 1, System, Swap, Software
          • D: IBM 13.5, 5400, Primary on 2, Dedicated to video
          • E: Memorex 48x CD, Secondary on 1
          • F: Yamaha CD-RW 2x2x8, Secondary on 2
          • Win98, FAT32 on C: & D:
          • MediaStudio Pro 5.2

Comment

Only if they're unwanted

But yes, I see your point. Fortunately, Ulead left us a way to get rid of it:

1. Place a crop filter on top of any other filters you use in the clip. Crop off what you want and pick a strange color (fuchsia, perhaps) as the border filler. Enable "Stationary" & check the end keyframe to make sure it is the same as the first.

2. Go into overlay options, pick color key, pick up the odd color on the picture, similarity = transparency = blend/opacity = 0.

Have a blast! --fluggo99

(Now if only we could rearrange the order of filters like the manual says we can!)

Comment

"When you are unspecifik in postings people will give corect anwers to wrong questions"

I was clipping and rezized an already captured avi in Virtualdub and reencoded it whit matrox mjpeg!
              I downloaded a newer version and the problem is now gone!

------------------
              INTEL PIII450 MSI 6163
              G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
              SBlive
              128 MB RAM
              19GB HDD Space! (6.4+13 quantum drives)
              SONY CDU771 32X SLOT IN
              SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I find it very annoying to have to clip all my captures because of the Overlay VBI info ;( I need twice the space on HD, and It takes a while to process ;(
                And I it is also annoying to have to put a filter on each clip (what also takes some time to process ...)

I 'd really like to see a solution from Matrox, like a way to say I don't want to capture the first xxx lines
                or when playing back to video: I don't want the upper xxx lines to be showed on TV output ...

Of course the last one does not prevent the moving path prob or when you make Mpegs;(
                Fauc

Comment

Working...
                X