X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My G450 so far....

OK....got my test card late last week.
    32megDDR Millennium G450 DH.
    Installed it in my work PC today. It replaces an ATI Rage Pro 8meg AGP.

Now lets get one thing straight. This card is aimed for OEMs, and not really intended to be a gamers dream card (yes, I know marketing is also saying it's a game card, but it's true bulk of sales will be to the OEMs). Don't expect to see high benchmarks compaired to other current cards from other makers. Don't even expect to see high benchmarks compaired to it's G400 predecessor. Bottom line: If you currently have a 32meg G400DH or MAX, there is no reason whatsoever to move to a G450.

BUT....if you need to upgrade from an older card (as I did with my ATI powered office rig), and if the almighty FPS score doesn't interest you, G450 is a good choice for an all-around/office type card.

The card installed without a hitch, after removing all ATI drivers, swapping cards, setting up as standard VGA, then installing the drivers (yes, it uses the same drivers as G400). After it was up and running, I hooked up my second monitor, and enabled DualHead Multi-Display. I then spent the day enjoying AutoCAD the way it should be, and annoying my boss by pointing out every little thing the G450 did better than the ATI. Brighter colors. Smoother 2D. Stable cursor. Double the desktop. No corrupt fonts. Better panning and zooming. Faster redraws and regens.

Basically, I'm a happy camper, and quite pleased with the card for what I will be using it for.

-ps...there will be no overclocking, games or benchmarks for this card in my world. I still have my O/C'd G400 for that in my home system

-pps...standard betaboys NDA rules apply. I can't answer questions about clock speeds, registry settings, benchmark scores, etc.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

I am in ATI hell at the office. We "upgraded" to Sun UltraSparc 10 workstations that have p.o.c. integated ATI video in them. The video sucks big time, and unfortunately there is no way to plug in a Matrox video card into a Sun workstation. There is all kinds of video artifacts and garbage. It is absolutely miserable to look at.

Congrats on your escape from ATI hell.

Comment

standard betaboys NDA rules apply. I can't answer questions about clock speeds, registry settings, benchmark scores, etc.
      Aww C'mon Kruzin, you've just taken all the fun outa threads like this ;o)

So you're pleased Eh?? I have one Question I hope you have the clearance to answer, how hot does the Heatsink get??
      Oh and did you notice the difference in the 2nd display?? the RAMDAC difference that is...

Craig
      1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

I don't know how hot the heatsink got. Closed up the case as soon as it was running, and never bothered to check it. The card ran all day long without a crash, lockup, or visual glitch, so I'd have to guess it's running cool enough.

For the second head, I can't say that I notice a difference, but since the monitor I'm using on that head is an old POS 14" running at 800x600 with a max of 72Hz refresh (same monitor I used on the G400s second head at home), I didn't expect to see any change.
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

In this context, of course, the G450 makes sense. I bet a lot of us have some pretty embarrassing hardware in our work machines. I think it's time to fess up:

Hello. My name is Paul, and I have an STB Velocity 128 in my work computer.

I'd welcome the G450 in my work machine.

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

He wants it so bad he's double posting

Thinking about that Fraggin with Martha Stewart tournament, eh...LOL

Paul
            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I tried to delete it, and the site bugged out on me.

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

It is stalling out a bit tonight.

When are they releasing the "Crepe Launcher Arena" mod???

Paul
                "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Kruzin,

Do drivers for Win 2K come with the card?
                  P4 2.53GHz, Intel D845PEBT2, 1GB Ram, G400 Max, Adaptec 19160 running, 2 Maxtor 18GB 10KRPM HD, Toshiba 40/10 SCSI DVD-Rom, Plextor 32/12/10 SCSI CD-RW, Seagate 80GB Barracuda IV, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Viewsonic G790 19" Monitor

Comment

I am using the card extensively in Win2k right now.

Rags

Comment

Hah!

No one can beat me.....a beautiful 21" Dell Trinitron flat-screen (really an OEM Sony)......attached to a 4 MB (!) ATI rage pro. It drops frames on the openGL screen saver! No AGP in the P.O.S. Dell work-station, and no free PCI slots. All controlling a $250,000 instrument.

John

Comment

I'm fortunate enough to have HP workstations at work and every single one of them have a G200

Dave
                        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Heck I've got a G100 in this baby at work. 3D? Whats that?

Cheers

Comment

The G450 runs much cooler than the G400 in my machine (the g400 was OCed to MAX speeds however). Plus there's a lot less silicon to get warm.

------------------
                            Cheers,
                            Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

hi,

will we see a PCI G450 ?

Comment

Working...
                              X