Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Lives Part Deux: The Wrath of ACPI

Hey everybody!

So, just as I'm thinking that flashing my MB BIOS back to an earlier version fixed the problem, after several hours of web surfing and no major problems other than hangin' on shutdown, I'm thinking I'm good to go! WRONG!

Today, get home ready to do a little tweaking, maybe play a low stress game or two, but NO. Nearly every program I run boots me out immediately via a Fatal Exception error, sometimes I can get back into Windows, mostly not. Even Internet Explorer doesn't work! Great, NOW what did I do? Only one thing left I hadn't tried..

Pertti from Finland suggested that I could install Win98 without support for ACPI. So, format C: again and here we go for the third or fourth time, whee! Remembered to disable ACPI both on my MB jumper and in BIOS (though before, jumper had zero effect and the BIOS screwed things all up it seemed).

As before, Windows installed speedily, except this time, after it's all done installing, NO errors! All devices working properly. So, I proceded to install the VIA 4-in-1 4.24 drivers. Lovely VIA, by installing the AGP driver, I get an error related to viagart.vxd or some such, so I said forget that, and uninstalled that particular part of the four. Worked like a charm after, when I proceeded to install the Matrox 6.01 Beta drivers. Voila! Works like even more charms! Still no reports of conflicts or errors, everything is looking great. Proceed to install drivers for modem and sound card, etc.. all went without a hitch, and THIS time, when the computer needs to be restarted or shut down, it actually does so!

I can barely believe I finally have a computer that's outwardly as solid as my three year old ++ 437VX with P133. It only took me four days, I think that's better than a guy I work with who is using an Asus K7M, took him a week, and he had lots of help from the head tech in our IT department.

Long story short, everything looks awesome! Ok so I have run no games yet, hope I am not jumping the gun, but sure looks damn good now what with no errors yet and everything running.

Thanks to all who've helped, in particular Jorden, and Pertti for the suggest to ditch ACPI support in Windows!

Looking forward to many long hours of visual delights with my G400. Oh, the G400 Tech Demo runs with sound now, never did before, pretty cool. Too bad I am leaving on a week long road trip Sunday morning...

Later!

Superpower KS-198 Full Tower (Black)
    Tyan S2380 KX133 v. 1.02
    AMD Athlon 650
    Nanya PC133 128MB
    IBM Deskstar 75GXP 30G
    Maxtor ?? 2.8G
    Kenwood 42X
    Matrox G400 32M DH
    Yamaha DS-XG PCI
    Zoom 56k PCI
    Samsung Syncmaster 950P

Aaron

Congratulations Aaron. I'm glad you've gotten things up and running.

So you can enjoy the image quality of your new G400, and enhance your computer knowledge, here's a link to Britney Spears' Guide to Semiconductor Physics:

http://britneyspears.ac/lasers.htm

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 02 September 2000).]

Comment

Paul,

Britney's Semiconductor guide is a riot! I never knew she was so well versed in that subject! You learn something new every day, or several things if you come to these forums. Sure glad I didn't wait for that GeForce MX (and by the way, their Dual Monitor Twin View has been pushed back to the middle to end of this month, still only two cards on pricewatch, both more expensive than my G400 was..)

Aaron

Comment

Good to hear that it worked.

I have always said that MicroS**t doesn't have a clue when it comes to making things work

Pertti
        (I wonder how long it takes for Gurm to come up )

Comment

Working...
        X