Calling G400 Hardware Gurus--->

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling G400 Hardware Gurus--->

I've been trying to help this guy for weeks to get this system running. He's been posting to Anandtech.

His system:
    Athlon T-Bird 750
    Asus K7V motherboard w/latest bios
    G400 32mb DH old bios, 6.01 and 5.52 drivers
    128mb Mushkin PC133 SDRAM
    SBLive
    Win98SE

I've had him mess with the AGP Aperture, upgrade to DirectX 7, IRQ for G400 is 11, not sharing. He's just having a helluva time.

Any expert advice is appreciated. I'm trying to get him to update the G400 bios, but other than that, I'm at a loss. He's tried all my tricks.

THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING...

For some reason I am having no success getting my system to operate with the G400 card.

I have tried multiple driver configurations and the system always locks up.

Here is a summary of the configurations and the outcomes:

By the way, there were 2 mouse pointers visible on the first screen of the Tech Demo and the mouse pointer was visible when the Demo was running.

1) Reformatted C:, installed Win98SE, installed windows default drivers for the Standard VGA adapter, installed VIA 4in1 drivers, then installed the G400 6.01 beta drivers, then installed the Matrox Tech Demo------the Demo froze in about 10 seconds.

2) Uninstalled the Via 4in1 drivers and ran the Tech Demo------ran it for 10+ minutes w/o freezing. BUT the image was terrible (obects randomly became 'fragmented' and when I use the keyboard controls(eg., F3, 0, and mouse) the system froze and I had to do a hard shut down).

3) Ran the above scenario again for 5 minutes then tried to exit the Demo. It did not exit properly--the Demo minimized onto the Task Bar and when I tried to shut down from the Start Menu I got the Blue Screen of Death (fatal exception 0E...VXD VMM (01)). I did this scenario 3 times, all with same outcome.

4) I tried numerous configurations of just 3 out of 4 of the 4in1 drivers and the system froze in less that 45 seconds every time.

5) Uninstalled the Via 4in1 drivers and set the Virtual Memory to 250MB (min. and max.) and AGP Aperature to 256 then ran the Tech Demo-----froze in 1 minute.

6) Tried scenario number 2 (see above) again {Uninstalled the Via 4in1 drivers and ran the Tech Demo------ran it for 10+ minutes w/o freezing. BUT the image was terrible (obects randomly became 'fragmented' and when I used the keyboard controls(eg., F3, 0, and mouse) the Demo lost all of its texturing. When I tried to exit the Demo, it minimized onto the Task Bar and a Start Menu shut down brought up the Blue Screen of Death.

7) Tried the above scenario but also installed DirectX 7.0------same texturing and Blue Screen of Death problems.

8) Tried the above scenario w/o the 4in1 drivers-----Blue Screen of Death at shutdown.

9) Reformatted C:, installed Win98SE, installed windows default drivers for the Standard VGA adapter, installed VIA 4in1 drivers, installed DirectX 7.0, then installed the G400 6.01 beta drivers, then installed the Matrox Tech Demo------the Demo froze in about 3 minutes.

Is there anything left for me to do?

Is this, possibly, a hardware problem?

Thanks, rnmcd
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

set agp texturing speed to 1x for a try

Comment

Working...
    X