Workstation Computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workstation Computers

Noted PC Mag's review of workstation computers. Two use a GeForce2 or 256, one an Nvidia Quandro, and three a G400.

OK, so the G400 may be a slouch with benchmarks when compared to a GeForce. But catch what they define as a workgroup vs. high end PC:

Workgroup: Architectural drafting. CAD, CAE, high-end Web development, mathematical analysis, scientific modeling, software development

High End: Software development, Web development, financial analysis, financial services, gaming

My translation - the need for real work (heavy end graphics, etc.) versus fun (games).

There's nothing wrong with a GeForce if you're mostly into games and high frame rates. But...I found it's easier (for me anyway) to look a a monitor for an extended period of time with a G400 behind it versus a GeForce. Easier on the eyes - don't have to squint and focus as much.

Just wish Matrox would bring the current set of drivers out of beta...

------------------
    1. Gateway Performance 850 - Matrox G400SH, SB Live! Value, Promise UltraATA 66 & 30GB HD - and Windows 2000 Pro

2. Gateway G6-400 - Intel PIII 550, Matrox G400MAX, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Win98SE
    Gateway Performance 850 - Matrox G450 32mb DDR, SB Live! Value, Promise UltraATA 66 & 30GB HD - and Windows 2000 Pro

Even DELL's 420 high end workstations come standard with the G400MAX. Just got four of them at work recently.

Joel
    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Working...
    X