3dmark2000 rev 1.1, win2k , G400 32 meg and 64 meg test problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3dmark2000 rev 1.1, win2k , G400 32 meg and 64 meg test problem

Anyone found a fix for this? Seems like Win2k does not handle texture memory very well. 3dmark2000 lists texture memory as 48 megs whereas win98 would show 90 something. Any ideas?

------------------
    Celeron 300a@464 on a Abit BH6 Rev 1.01, 192 Pc100, Matrox G400 32 SH, SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, all running on Win2k pro with other odds and ends
    Celeron II 566@ 952 on a Abit BE6 Rev 1, 128 Pc100, Matrox G450 32 DH, SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, all running on Win2k pro with other odds and ends

This is not a G400 problem, but a problem with win2k and properly using the AGP aperture size. I have seen similar reports on many other types of cards that have the same problem.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Yeah Kruzin that what i thought. I was just wondering if anyone had ever found a fix or work around. Maybe it will be fixed in SP2 in lets say.....2003

------------------
      Celeron 300a@464 on a Abit BH6 Rev 1.01, 192 Pc100, Matrox G400 32 SH, SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, all running on Win2k pro with other odds and ends
      Celeron II 566@ 952 on a Abit BE6 Rev 1, 128 Pc100, Matrox G450 32 DH, SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, all running on Win2k pro with other odds and ends

Comment

doesn't seem to be a OS problem, but a G400 driver problem:
        http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/For...ML/001353.html

Comment

DZ, glad to see that you're readily able to blame Matrox and not MadOnion. Until U know for a fact, it's best to keep quiet. I forwarded one of my contacts @ MadOnion to Eaves so he would (hopefully soon) get a responce on this issue. See the thing is, MO doesn't normally have a clue as to what the problems can be. I've spoken with them several times in the past and know this to be fact. At least Matrox is trying to resolve this issue and we've seen a responce from them on it, which I might add is more than MO has done! Do they read their email? No one knows for sure, but a simple email stating it's being looked into would be at least a sign of life on their part.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

why would this problem be caused by MadOnion, when they recently released a 'win2k-compatible' version of 3DMark2K (while the v1.0 already ran flawless on my machine)?

They undoubtedly would have noticed this problem if it woudl appear on all the graphics cards in Win2k.

Fact is that Brian R's GeForce GTS runs fine in win2k.... so I asked him the aperture size on his system, and concluded what I have put in the linked thread I mentioned above.

Matrox now has it's responsibility to check out if this assumption is right (or if there is another cause).

I have my assumption I will hold to, and until I get the conformation of Matrox, I will not state this is the actual cause of the problem, but that it is my assumption.

If you read my post this was already clear:

doesn't seem to be a OS problem, but a G400 driver problem

Comment

I don't get it. Why would the test working on a card which already has 64 MB onboard prove that it is the fault of the G400 drivers?

Comment

please read the thread I linked to find out why

Comment

Another good balls up by Microshaft. Here's win2k the professional system but if you doing graphics that need to use the AGP system make sure your graphics card handle it on board or you might have a problem.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

That's why I was asking.

I find it far more likely that it is a Windows 2000 problem. AGP texturing seems to work fine (just try the new test in Dx8's dxdiag), it's only that Win2k for some reason won't give up too much system RAM for agp texturing. For a 64 MB card even that little is just enough.

Is there anyone having 32 MB or less on the card with the 64 MB test working in Win2000?

Comment

Well, it would be interesting to see if a (any) 16MB card can pass the 32MB test then. It wouldn't be conclusive either way, but a nice indicator.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yup, I have a 16 Meg and it has always passed the 32 Meg test.

------------------
                        Partnership for an idiot free America

Comment

Greebe I did send your contact at Madonion an e-mail and await an answer or maybe just some useful information. I will keep everyone posted.

------------------

Comment

the reason I thought it was a driver problem is that with the G400 it always uses 15.7MB max RAM for texturing, where on the GeForce GTS it dynamically allocates exact the right size. You are right in that I don't know if it will go over this 15.7MB with a GeForce card.

Can someone with a GeForce 32MB card please test 3DMark2K 1.1 in win2k, to see if it passes the 64MB aperture test? try several different drivers please... (detonator 5.xx, 3.xxx 2.xx ?)

Comment

Working...
                            X