Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual head in Win2k - Can i get a final answer to this please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual head in Win2k - Can i get a final answer to this please?

Im having a difficult time get a straight forward CLEAR and concise answer to this question.

Does Dual Head work in Windows 2000 in the EXACT same fashion as it does in windows98/ME ?

The reason i ask, is because i have read on quite a few forums and newsgroups that in Win2k the dual head feature on all matrox video cards does not perform as it does in win98/me. They say that when you maxamize a screen on the primary display it splits it across to the secondary screen, thus creating one large image on both monitors. You also dont have the ability to run a seperate window/program on the 2nd monitor, instead your desktop is spread across the 2 montiors with one half on one side and the other half on the other side.

I have read these issues far more times than i would have liked. Perhaps this is just an issue with older drivers and a new bios/driver update has addressed this,or is it still an issue?

My situation:

At lan parties, my game server, i like to have on the primary display the stats of the games being played on a monitor, and on the 2nd display i like to have running a DVD movie, or even another game being displayed through an LCD projector.

In windows98 this would NOT be a problem, however i havnt had a chance to try this in win2k and i would like a clear cut answer if i could.

I do not want 2 seperate video cards and NT4 is not an option.

thanks

------------------

[This message has been edited by THELAIR (edited 17 August 2000).]

CalgaryLANParties!
    http://www.lanfest.com
    ICQ# 34171423

Here´s a straight forward answer:

Dual Head DOES NOT work in Windows 2000 in the EXACT same fashion as it does in windows98/ME.

Yep. It´s true. It´s Microsoft´s fault, not Matrox. The winNT kernel (NT4 and NT5 aka win2k) doesn´t support multidisplays from only one graphical adapter. In multidisplay mode you have one big desktop spread across the two monitors, that´s all Matrox could get within winNT kernel limitations.

It´s a shame Microsoft is not willing to include this feature in win2k. Their 2 years old win98 (vanilla, SE, TE) has it. Win2k sp1 didn´t implement it and there are no signs they ever will. Maybe "Improve your business productivity: buy Windows 2001 - based on NT kernel - Now with dual-head support!!!"

Clone, Dvd-max and zoom work the same way as win98 though. So I think you can still do something wilhe watching a movie in anotehr display.

Comment

What about seperate video cards? That will do it right? that will create the 2 independent monitors that i require correct?

There has been talk about the new GeforceMX with its twinview technology that circumvents this issue, i know im bringing this up in a matrox web forum, but has anyone heard/read anything about this?

Perhaps the G450 can do somthing that hte G400 cant? Pull some sort of trick perhaps.

------------------
      CalgaryLANParties!
      ICQ# 34171423
      CalgaryLANParties!
      ICQ# 34171423

Comment

Working...
      X