I killed my G400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I killed my G400

I was playing around with my new 750 coppermine last night, and after running it at 143fsb for a while Serious Sam crashed, and the desktop was all white.

I couldnt shut down through windows, so I did a hard reboot, and then couldnt start up again.

I get one long, then 3 short beeps at the bios level. This turns out to be a video problem.

I figured a 95mhz AGP speed must have been a little high for my old 32mb DH (OEM).

I cleared the bios, and the same thing. I pulled out the cmos battery (just to make sure) and the same thing. I tried reseating the g400, same thing. Then I stuck an old riva 128 AGP card in, and it booted fine.

Now, I assume Ive either killed the card compleatly, or Ive corrupted the Video bios somehow.

Ive got a recovery disk here, but I was a little stupid and named it "g400 emergency disk."

Ive had a 32Mb SH, 2 16mb SH and this 32MB DH, and I cant remember what card this disk was made for

Does anybody know how to tell the difference? If not, has anybody got a save.bin file for a OEM G400 32Mb DH (non 4xAGP kind)?

Ive checked matroX files http://grafi.ii.pw.edu.pl/gbm/matrox/
    but they only seem to go up to the G200 series.

Ive also done a search through the forums, but couldnt find any links to new files (lots of stuff about PINs though).

Ive also got no spare video cards that arnt AGP except for an old ISA one (which is in my Linux box, and I dont realy want to kill that, cos its been up non stop for about 1.5 years)

Any help would be appreciated

Ali

Opps, just remembered, my mother has a PCI card in her computer, Ill have to drive over there tonight and swap it for this old Riva128.

Ali

Comment

I couldnt be bothered going to my parents, so I pulled my linux box apart.

Booted that emergency disk I had, and it restored my bios (1.3)

I then booted into 98SE and got a whole lot of VXD errors, so I flashed the bios up to 1.6 and tried again.

Same thing, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the G400 drivers (beta 6.1)

Still the same thing.

My 400 has moved from IRQ 11 to 9, and a few other things have moved around, but there are no conflicts.

Also, I can 'only' get my CPU to 930 now It was 100% stable at 1Ghz before. to be honest I cant tell the difference, but my bragging rights have gone.

Im in win2000 at the moment, and that seems stable. It crashed quake3 before, but then it ran UT for about 5 minutes (before I got bored).

Ali

Comment

Sounds like you had fried the BIOS on the card. Run it again and see if you get rid of them errors. Use the one from matrox utilities page. It helped me out when my card died. It's for all G cards.

------------------
        #1 DRILL SERGEANT PICK-UP LINE

"You make me hornier before 9 AM than most
        people do all day!"

Comment

Ali, go for the recover utility.
          It does miracules.

------------------
          Italian Guy, Bad English

D'ya want an Italian version?

Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

I spent most of last night playing with it.

I got the G400 working again, but it only seems 100% stable up to 117 FSB speeds (2/3 AGP).

I put a p3 450 that has run for months at 600 with a G200 in, and couldnt get that stable above 117 with my G400. When I put the G200 in my computer, I could get my P3 750 back up to 1 Gig.

Looks like I fried the G400 bios, and now it wont clock as high.

I suppose Im stuck at 878 untill the G800 comes out. Doesnt really matter though.

Ali

Comment

Working...
            X