Matrox touting vertex shaders at Meltdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox touting vertex shaders at Meltdown

Sharky Extreme has a word on the Meltdown 2000 concernig DX8 ...

ATI, Matrox and NVIDIA were touting vertex shaders at Meltdown, which is a pretty sure way to guess that they're the "next big thing" in video cards. This probably means that Matrox has a T&L part in the future.
    If that ain't nothing ...

Lateron they wrote:
    Matrix Palette Skinning

Matrox was evangelizing matrix palette skinning (MPS). MPS is much like vertex skinning. They both make more realistic deformations, skin, clothing and moving joints on models. MPS is a form of skinning that has far more control and power than vertex skinning because it has more control points. MPS has the potential to make a huge difference when modeling complex moving objects like talking human faces and hands, where vertex skinning does not provide enough control points. Future T&L hardware will support MPS. Matrox also spoke about perturbation mapping, which is a technique of using environment bump-mapping for more than just bumps.
    Sounds cool to me ...

Happy reading !
    Maggi
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
    LG BH10LS38
    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........G800......

amish
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

i don't want to wait any longer, gimme now!

Comment

Even if you had a G800 now and DX8 now what games would make use of the new features if a game is written for DX7 DX8 will work like it was DX7 ie backward compatability.

I hope some of the new features improve openGL though. Still to this day openGL is not as good as fast as it could be

OpenGL 2+ years in the making by matrox, one day they will get it right

Comment

I've a feeling a lot of fixes will appear in the next ICD

Comment

Ummm... You can pretty much say the same thing about T&L now, eh??

I don't care if nothing supports it. Overall it'll be fast!

amish
            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

Well, since everyone who is writing for the Xbox (Carmack, et al) is writing for DX8 and pixel shaders and vertex shaders, you can expect support for this stuff pretty quick out of the gate.

IIRC, DX8 should be out within a month...

AlgoRhythm

Comment

I remember when DX7 first came out it was months before drivers and stuff actually start being made for DX7 for the most part DX7 was working like DX6.1 for quite a while.

My guess is DX8 will come out in september but it won't be till next year before you start seeing it really being used.

Comment

Working...
                X