G400Max and SMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400Max and SMP

First i must apologize because my english is not so good.
    Does G400MAX supports SMP
    My configuration is:
    dual P3-450@600
    epox KP6-BS
    384Mb ram
    G400MAX (400Mhz ramdac)
    system is win2k
    I have the same benchmarks as i had them when i had just one processor.

Yes, the G400 supports smp, except in Quake3 (they're working on it).

The reason you have the same benchmarks is likely that you need to reinstall Win2k to get it to recognise the second CPU.

Or at least turn on the multiprocessor option, depending on how your machine is set up now.

Go to device manager, and look under "computer" and tell us what it says there, and we can tell you what to do next.

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

The settings is MPS multiprocessor PC.
      I did a new complete intallation of all software on my computer twice, but it didn't help.
      I worked with the computers for 15 years, but this is something that i can not fix alone.

Comment

It's fine like that,the only thing that would better(if you want power management support),would be "ACPI multiprocessor pc",but that depends if the motherboard you're using it with has the latest win 2000 support.

If you're going to add another processor,you won't need to re-install win 2000,all that's needed is a driver update,which is in the win 2000 cd.

It's not only matrox that has problems running q3 in smp,nvidia and the rest also have major problems with smp as well,when the command "r_smp 1" is enabled,q3 locks up hard with nvidia's latest drivers sets(5.xx).

note to self...

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups....

Primary system :
        P4 2.8 ghz,1 gig DDR pc 2700(kingston),Radeon 9700(stock clock),audigy platinum and scsi all the way...

Comment

Can i turn from MPS multiprocessor PC to ACPI multiprocessor PC without problems.
          The motherboard is fuul compatibile with win2k and supports ACPI functions.

Comment

Well, fire up task manager and go to the last tab (the performance graphs) and if you have two graphs for cpu usage, then you have 2 cpus running.

As for the benchmarks, they won't be a LOT faster - the cpu's don't double over the single-process performance. In fact, they do nothing to boost single-process performance. They do, however, make multitasking MUCH MUCH nicer.

- Gurm

------------------
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

I changed from mps pc to acpi pc and the system crashed. I had to reinstall the system and all programs.

I did not expect dubble performance. I expected at least 10-20% improvement, but the performance stay unchanged. The benchmarks are the same as before when i had only one processor.

I work with autocad 2000 and there is no sign of improvement.

Nebivedu

Comment

Well, it isn't really a G400 issue, I suggest you take this over to General Hardware and see what they have to say...

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

It all depends if autocad 2000 is multithreaded,if it isn't you won't see much of an improvement.

What kind of benchmarks are you isung to see if there's any difference?,if the benchmark program you're using isn't multithreded itself,you'll never see any difference at all.

You need to use programs that are specificaly writen to take advantage of multi-cpu systems,in which case the speed improvement can be as high as 50/60%.
                  note to self...

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups....

Primary system :
                  P4 2.8 ghz,1 gig DDR pc 2700(kingston),Radeon 9700(stock clock),audigy platinum and scsi all the way...

Comment

Working...
                  X