2048 x 768 Limit w/G400 under Win2k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2048 x 768 Limit w/G400 under Win2k?

There HAS to be a way around this... Windows 2000 isn't giving me the option to choose a resolution higher then 2048 x 768 (DualHead), despite the fact it's listing my secondary monitor's max resolution as 1280 x 960.

Any ideas? I'm running the 5.0.2195.1100 drivers on a G400 Max.

C=64

is your primary monitor defined to its' maximum resolution? also, physically switch the monitors and see if that works. i could not use the plug and play monitor that win2k installs. i had to choose an svga 1280 x 1024@75 hz...no problem 2560 x 1024 @ 75 hz

good luck

cc

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky Cheese:
      is your primary monitor defined to its' maximum resolution? also, physically switch the monitors and see if that works. i could not use the plug and play monitor that win2k installs. i had to choose an svga 1280 x 1024@75 hz...no problem 2560 x 1024 @ 75 hz.

remember...your limited by your "least" capable monitor

good luck

cc

Comment

Both monitors are identical, and oddly enough, I had the primary set for 1280 x 1024@75 hz, just like you! I'm really stumped by this one...

C=64

Comment

Update:

I set my primary monitor back to plug and play. Now, I can reach a maximum DualHead resolution of 2304x864 (1152x864 on both monitors), which is (almost) what I've been running under Win98.

HOWEVER, I cannot get their refresh to go above 60 hz while using this resolution. Under Win98, I was able to get a MUCH more palatable 75 hz.

By playing with the "Monitor Settings" tab under the advanced display properties, I'm able to push the primary display back up to 75 hz. However, the secondary still languishes at 60 hz (as a side note, hasn't Matrox claimed this wasn't possible under Windows 2000?).

Just to reiterate, the 2 monitors I'm using are identical 17" monitors. Under Win98, I'd normally over-ride "Plug and Play Monitor" and choose "Standard 1280x1024 @ 75 hz" for both monitors, as that gave me quite a bit more flexibility and was a better fit for my monitors' capabilities.

Is there ANY way I can get the secondary back up to 75 hz, short of buying a new monitor?

The only thing I've been able to think of is to cut id pins to disable Plug and Play auto detection. 'Course, I don't know which pins those would be...

(a very frustrated) C=64

Comment

C=64,

if you could, could you try it in this order...

turn off dual-head
            return back to vga mode
            remove your monitor, then rescan hardware or svga 1280 x 1024 @ 75 hz
            then set your monitor to the desired resolution
            then turn on dh

i had to be very specific on this order on my system(..wierd). i do have a newer flat panel display on my secondary output which might explain the better detection...i don't know.

the tech support manager from matrox does post/read on this forum, he knows what pins would need to be cut, i really think it should be necessary.

cc

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chucky Cheese:
              [B]C=64,

if you could, could you try it in this order...

turn off dual-head
              return back to vga mode
              remove your monitor, then rescan hardware or svga 1280 x 1024 @ 75 hz
              then set your monitor to the desired resolution
              then turn on dh

i had to be very specific on this order on my system(..wierd). i do have a newer flat panel display on my secondary output which might explain the better detection...i don't know.

the tech support manager from matrox does post/read on this forum, he knows what pins would need to be cut, i really don't think it should be necessary.

cc

Comment

Thanks for your help Chucky. I tried your suggestions, but I'm afraid they didn't help my situation.

I don't think Matrox's tech support knows about cutting pins to disable autodetection, as the only response I got to that very question on Matrox's support forum was to to contact devrel@matrox.com instead.

For anyone else who may be interested, I'm repeating the response I made on the Matrox support forum.

-----------------------------

Contact devrel@matrox.com ?! I'm at a loss as to why developer relations should be responsible for a tech support issue...

Sensing an impending run-around, I went ahead and did a bit more research on my own (thank goodness for Google). I found a few pin-out tables, and was able to identify the appropriate pins for DDC communication.

My conclusion? Yes, It is possible to clip pins to disable autodetection.

I disabled pin 12 (the DDC SDA pin) on my second head's extension cable. That was enough to keep my G400 Max from autodetecting the monitor connected to that head. This, in turn, enabled the "Max. Secondary resolution" combo box on the "DualHead" tab under advanced display properties, allowing me to specify my own resolution and refresh rate.

Now both my monitors are running beautifully at 1152 x 864 @ 75 hz.

For those interested, Pin 12 is the pin that's the second from the left on the bottom row of the connector you plug into the video card. For those of you who are a bit leery about modifying your monitor (like me), you can use an extension cord (available at most computer shops; I got mine at Staples) and modify the extension cable, instead.

I have not tested the modified extension cord with the G400's video-out breaker cable, and so I am unaware if disabling pin 12 has any negative effect. 'Course, there really isn't any reason to USE the extension cable with the video-out breaker cable...

C=64

Comment

My resolution is limited on 2048x1536 on 60Hz.

Comment

Greetings from Tokyo,

I read earlier in one of the forums that there is a webpage with the pins of the mga card.

http://www1.mahoroba.ne.jp/~youichi/pinbox.htm

Hope this helps

Nils

Comment

Working...
                    X