Matrox Soft does CPU Bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox Soft does CPU Bench

I found a CPU Bench program in my Matrox Video Tools Folder, and - of course - tried it out. It does some CPU testing, and then tells me, that my PII/400 is not fast enough for PAL in Full Resolution. It says, I can record a maximum of about 20 Frames.
    I wonder, whether this can be right. My CPU Usage is about 16% when I record full PAL with 25 Frames. OK - I have some Problems, but I can not imagine, that they are caused by a slow Processor.
    Who can me tall something about this test. And: is my software affected by the Registry-entries of this Benchmark??

The problem isn't your CPU, it's your harddrives. To record uncompressed RGB at 30fps or whatnot, you gotta have a superfast harddrive, I believe (talking what, scsi ultra wide 2 10,000 rpm etc etc ? I dunno) . I don't know all the numbers.

coolfish.

Comment

. And: is my software affected by the Registry-entries of this Benchmark??

If you mean is your Matrox software affected?.....Yes it won't give you the option of capturing at a rate above your cards Matrox HD benchmarks.This benchmark utility isn't held in high esteem and you can hack yor registry to get around this if you think its wrong though.Its all listed in the Matrox FAQ, I tell ya. Your CPU isn't the problem, as a matter of fact I don't think anybodies CPU is the problem capturing.It's the settings of the computer there seated in that's the problem. Now Editing video, thats when you start to get CPU envy!I think if you have at least a UDMA 33 hard drive with an UDMA controller or MB you should be able to capture at the maximum data rate these cards produce if you have your system optimized for video capture. If you don't know if your system is optimized for video capture there is a lot of reading one can do here (including myself).and as far as..."My CPU Usage is about 16% when I record full PAL with 25 Frames. OK - I have some Problems, but I can not imagine, that they are caused by a slow Processor."
      Yeah thats great that's why you bought this capture card it does hardware MJPEG compression and it goes straight (no it doesn't pass Go) to your hard drive as your CPU twiddles it's thumbs. Thats the point it's not your CPU its the Hard drives capabilities or your motherboards capabilites or the settings or drivers of them. Any other opinions??

Yo Idiot!

[This message has been edited by Captain Marvel (edited 18 January 2000).]
      P4 1.6A @ 2.24 ghz
      MSI 645 Ultra
      256 Samsung PC 2700 DDR
      Matrox Marvel G200
      etc...
      ect....

Comment

Hi guys,

that CPU benchmark utility was to be used with our software codec which we were thinking of putting in. It really doesn't mean anything. We left it in there in case one day, we decide to include a software codec.

Haig

Comment

Thank you Haig! This was the answer I wanted to hear.

Comment

Ouch Haig !

What idiot decided to start playing with a software MJEG codec ? If you want to play those games, there are plenty of other cards doing this (badly).

The whole attraction of the RR's and Marvels is that they have hardware MJPEG compression at an affordable price.

I hope that this manic idea never gets to release !

Chris

Comment

Well, it would have been nice to have an option when the Hardware codec fails miserably such as it does for me and my RR-G on my g400.

BTW I've tried installing the Morgan codec and I cannot get it to get any sort of quality, it likes to screw up a lot. Haven't had time to really work out the bugs though.

It'd be nice if my MJEPG stuff worked. Now, where are those drivers the tech guy said were coming VERY soon? Looks like I need to call Matrox again.

Comment

Chris,

I would like Matrox to release a software codec for the Marvel/RRG, which could be used for editing/playback on systems with no RRG hardware.

At the moment we are stuck with using third party software MJPEG codecses, which are not as good as Matrox could make them.

Pertti

Comment

Working...
                X