Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now that Win2k SP1 is out...

How long do you think it'll be until we get "real" dual-head from our G400s

I hope it is a simple change that they can integrate into their next driver release.

Not gonna happen. Dual Head as we know it in win9x is not happening right now in win2k.

Rags

------------------
    Partnership for an idiot free America

Comment

Do you have any more information or background about this. Last I understood, SP1 was going to include the capability that matrox needed to include 9x style dual-head (or what you get with 2 cards) in win2k. When did this change? Or is it just one of those Microsoft-decided-not-to-fix-it issues?

Comment

Yes, I know, believe me

Matrox has never officially stated that it would appear in SP1. They have stated that they were trying to get it included in SP1. Which apparently MS decided it was not cost effective/necessary/important/etc.

Rags

------------------
        Partnership for an idiot free America

Comment

Rags from what i read MS decided that adding dual-head to win2k involved too much rewriting of the win2k kernel and because of this they put it off till the next major update.

------------------
          Celeron 300a@464 on a Abit BH6 Rev 1.01, 192 Pc100, Matrox G400 32 SH, SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, all running on Win2k pro with other odds and ends
          Celeron II 566@ 952 on a Abit BE6 Rev 1, 128 Pc100, Matrox G450 32 DH, SBlive Value, Supra Express 56i ISA, all running on Win2k pro with other odds and ends

Comment

By major update do you mean a Windows 98 SE type mess, or Whistler?

Either way, it looks like it's time for me to give up on the dream... sigh... Bye G400 Max. It was (almost) nice having you in my system...

C=64

Comment

according to the latest info I've heard, MS won't put it in any servicepack for Win2k.... so I really hope they will include it in Whistler

Comment

BTW- the SP can be found in links here:
                http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200....html?dtn.head

and the readme for the list of fixes is here (in three parts)
                http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q260/9/10.asp

ps- guess MS fixed a "slow DirectX" problem:
                http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q263/1/16.ASP

[This message has been edited by LrngToFly (edited 31 July 2000).]

Comment

So I have to get two 19' now? Ok... i'll try ;-)
                  Matrox Millenium P750 bios 1.3 - 12, P4 3Ghz HT 800Mhz, Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 1Gb DDR400 Dual Channel, Dual Seagate 80Gb S-ATA on Intel Raid level 0, Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1302, external Yamaha CD-RW CRW-F1DX on Firewire, Microsoft Natural Elite keyboard, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical, Viewsonic P90F, Viewsonic PF790

Comment

Looks like I'm going to slap in my old Millenium. As any one got a system with both a G400Max & Millenium installed and running in W2K ?
                    PIII 667Mhz, ASUS P3V4X
                    256MB PC100 RAM
                    Adaptec 2940UW
                    2x Maxtor 20Gb UltraDMA 66, 1x IBM 2.1G SCSI Disks
                    G400Max, HP 21' & IBM P76 17'Monitors
                    Pionner SCSI 6xDVD
                    Yamaha CRW6416S
                    SB Live! Altec Lansing ACS48 & ACS95 Speakers
                    Iomega Zip Drive
                    ARCHIVE Python 4mm DAT
                    3Com FastEtherlink
                    Win 98 & Win 2000

Comment

Actualy my problem is that I can't run two monitors on my DH on different resolution.
                      Matrox Millenium P750 bios 1.3 - 12, P4 3Ghz HT 800Mhz, Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 1Gb DDR400 Dual Channel, Dual Seagate 80Gb S-ATA on Intel Raid level 0, Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1302, external Yamaha CD-RW CRW-F1DX on Firewire, Microsoft Natural Elite keyboard, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical, Viewsonic P90F, Viewsonic PF790

Comment

Resolved to running a single desktop across 2 monitors (booo, hissss )I seem to remember that there was a way to prevent windows dialogue boxes appearing split over the monitors.

Can anyone remember how to do this please?

Ta
                        Martin
                        Warning: Sigs may seriously damage your health...

Comment

A tip on preventing split dialog boxes was found at:
                          <CENTER><A HREF="http://www.windows2000faq.com/" TARGET="_top">Windows2000faq.com</A></CENTER>

I don't really have any complaints about spreading a single desktop over two monitors, in fact, it's EXCELLENT for timelines that Video Editing (DV) involves. My only beef with the G400 is that its Win2K drivers apparently do not support "video overlay" in DualHead mode. I've tried all the resolution combinations, but it's a no-go. Having the feature would've allowed the camcorder to overlay a live 30fps high-detail image on the VGA desktop without sacrificing CPU & GPU horsepower. If the future nVidia GeForceMX TwinView cards support video overlay (even if at least on ONE screen), I'll have to abandon the Matrox.

------------------
                          Carter
                          ------
                          Tyan Tiger 100 rev.F
                          Dual PentiumIII 650e CuMine Slot1
                          Dual 128mb PC100 generic
                          [C:] 10.2g Seagate ATA66 5400rpm
                          [D:] 10.1g IBM ATA66 7200rpm
                          Promise FastTrack66 RAID
                          [E:] Dual 30.7g Maxtor ATA66 7200rpm DM+
                          [F:] Plextor 12x10x32x CDRW
                          Dual SVGA 17" screens
                          Matrox G400 DualHead AGP 32mb
                          SBLive PCI
                          NDC 10/100 PCI
                          Canopus DV Raptor
                          USB IntelliEye
                          FourPoint2000
                          Windows2000 w/SP1
                          Canon XL1
                          Carter
                          ------
                          [EditRig] Tyan Tiger100 rev.F, Dual P3 650MHz, 256mb PC100, [C:] 10.2g Seagate, [D:] 10.1g IBM, FastTrack66 RAID, [E:] Dual 30.7g Maxtors, [F:] Plextor 12x10x32x CDRW, Dual 17" Monitors, Matrox G400 32mb AGP, SBLive, Canopus DV Raptor, FourPoint2000, FastEthernet, USB IntelliEye, Windows2000, MSP 6.0, Canon XL-1/GL-1/L2

Comment

Carter, Nvidiot will have the same problems that Matrox has with this, especially because they stole DH technology from them.
                            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Satch - Matrox has not released a W2K driver for the Millenium.

Comment

Working...
                              X