Matrox buys Sigma Designs for $60 million

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox buys Sigma Designs for $60 million

DORVAL, Quebec, Canada (AP) -- Graphics chip manufacturer Matrox Graphics, Inc. announced today it has purchased PC DVD decoder manufacturer Sigma Designs for $60 million. When asked what this means for the PC graphics card industry, CEO of Matrox replied: "WE FINALLY GOT A CLUE."

• Box 2:
    • operating system: FreeBSD 4.1
    • CPU: Intel Pentium 60
    • memory: 32 MB
    • hard drive: Quantum Fireball 1 GB

legalize

Interesting Quote from the CEO...
    Hmmmm...
    And fer 60Mil. Damn, nice piece of change for a company [sarcasm]"leaving the highend"[/sarcasm] ;o)

Can't wait to see what becomes of this besides the obvious Marvel G800 with Full hardware DVD ;o)

Craig
    1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

A couple of years ago I thought, that
      SIGM (sigma design) was one of the best stocks on the market. But thats all lyrics.

As for the news, I think it is a hoax. Sigma closing price on Friday was 90mln USD. What is the source of your news?

Comment

Holly would like to see you. She loves threads like this. MHW, on the other hand ...
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Yeah, this is about as believable as the whole Disney, Apple merger rumor in its various forms. It's seems to never quite go away, does it?

Comment

a note to those who are slow: this is just a joke, but I think it would be a smart move as Matrox could then integrate true hardware DVD support in their graphics cards.

• Box 2:
            • operating system: FreeBSD 4.1
            • CPU: Intel Pentium 60
            • memory: 32 MB
            • hard drive: Quantum Fireball 1 GB

legalize

Comment

Mr. Cold were you on the T.V. show Batman in the 60's ? played by Paul Lynn?

Comment

Naw Frank, that's his Don Rickles impression! LOL
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

If one wants real hardware DVD support, one buys an ATI WhatevertheirlatestisforIlostcount

In the mean time, Mr. Cold, don't jump at every new Windows version that's out there, and then complain you got no Matrox drivers for it, as Matrox doesn't know which next OS you're jumping in on... Cheese, take some time, will ya?

Jord.

------------------
                  Matrox Users Rely on Cheese !!
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

Originally posted by Jorden:
                    If one wants real hardware DVD support, one buys an ATI WhatevertheirlatestisforIlostcount
                    I think it's the ATI Rage Fury Pro Turbo Quad Damage Ultra Maxx Turbo Pro Fury 2

Comment

The thread is moved to Stupid Jokes forum.

Comment

Hey Dualbuzz, an higher mental level implies a lower mental humor???
                        Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

You KNEW you'd see me here didn't you?

Fact is, Matrox had the best solution in the business and abandoned it for NO good reason, other than a f**K up in product development that no one wants to be responsible for. All they had to do was bite the bullet and support the poor orphan.--I love it anyway. :0)

The G200 hardware decoder is playing on my machine as I type this, (watching a movie in a window as I monitor the forums) and my CPU usage is less than 40% with CRYSTAL CLEAR video on my TV, no passthrough as in SIGMA, and no IRQ needed. all at 1024x768 highcolor.

If you can......do it in hardware!!

Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
                          CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
                          Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

I think the trend is for video cards to do the job for DVD decoding, of course, video is only one component of DVD, there is this thing called audio, you may have heard of it.

Comment

But as everyone's CPUs are getting more and more powerful, why bother with the extra expense of a hardware decoder and do it through software. Same with video compression.

------------------
                              Cheers,
                              Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Working...
                              X