Is this thing agp4x or not ?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this thing agp4x or not ?!?!

I got my new i815e asus cusl2 motherboard (bad-ass) dropped in a p3-700e bumped it to 938Mhz... life was good. Got to cpuid, G400max still shows I have agp2x. Infact it says its agp2x compatible.. What gives.

And where the **** is the g800... shiiiiaaaaT

------------------
    G400 on a G400
    What the hell are we doing in the middle of the desert?

What is the part# on the sticker on the card?
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Dude, you expect me to know this kind of stuff. Damn matrox has to **** me in the ass by releasing some agp2x cards, when its advertised as agp4x? My god, why don't they just kick my dog while their at it.
      What the hell are we doing in the middle of the desert?

Comment

Allow me to clue you in...

When G400 first came out, 4x AGP did not exist, only specs on paper. The first few months worth of G400 cards where classified as 2x/4x. That meant they would do 2x AGP, but fit in a 4x slot (which at the time according to specs was different than a 2x slot). Since there where no 4x mobos in existance, Matrox released the 2x/4x version. It was that or nothing. Matrox could hardly release a 4x card when there where no 4x mobos in existance to test them on.

When 4x mobos became a reality, Matrox made a newer revision of the G400, which is true 4x. If you read the part# on the sticker, you can tell which model you have.

It's all mute anyway...Matrox did not **** you in the a$$. Marketing hype did. 4x AGP is a buzzword, and has no real advantage over 2x with todays software. By the time 4x makes any noticable difference we'll be WAY beyond G400.
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

This all sounds very familiar

Comment

When Matrox released the G400 they were into some really weird shit.

They opened up their own reseller place and kept the prices way up there. Buy.com still won't carry their products. I had an order in with Buy.com for like $185 the the first week they listed them on their site. I then waited for months only to finally cancel. Happened at a couple of other places also. I then ordered with matrox for $250ish. I received my AGP4x card only to find it was really a 2x card. I was pissed. I returned it waited another month and bought a MAX online for $179.

I did not like the way they tried to make you think it was a 4x card when they new it was a 2x card. However nVidia was producing 4x cards so they wanted you to think they had 4x cards.

JP

[This message has been edited by Jeff (edited 02 August 2000).]
            Workstation Specs:
            Pentium 4 2 GHz, ASUSTek P4T-E i850, 1024 MB PC800 RDRAM, ATi Radeon 8500 64m, Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer, 3Com 3C905TX-C NIC, Western Digital 80g ATA100 HD, Sony 16x/40x DVD-ROM, Sony CD-RW 175S/C, 19" Sony 420GS, and Windows XP Pro.

Comment

Working...
            X