Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matrox Millenium G-400 32mb AGP Single Head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox Millenium G-400 32mb AGP Single Head?

I'm going to put together a new system (sometime soon hopefully) and I don't know what kinda video card to get so I've decided to just stick with a Matrox and wait and see what comes on the market in the next few months.
    I'm selling my old PII 350 with a Millennium G200 in it so I'm wondering how much of an improvement I would see if I just got a G-400 32mb AGP Single Head in my new PIII 733 or PIII 800?
    I can get one for $178 at www.robotnik.com
    If NVIDIA comes out with something truly amazing I might buy it later on or even get a Geforce2 GTS card when the prices go down.

[This message has been edited by Dentaku (edited 29 July 2000).]

178$! ???? I hope that's canadian currency!

If it isn't then that is an absolutely horrible price.

If it is canadian, well, I haven't a clue how good of a price it is then.

Speaking from first hand experience now, I just 2 days ago upgraded from a G200 to a 32mb SH G400.
    I love it.( the only thing I don't like is that under win2000 between Matrox's drivers and VIA's crappy chipset on my motherboard, games aren't playable because they crash after 5 minutes).
    As long as you don't get a VIA mobo you should be fine, or even if you do get one, as long as you stay in Win9x you'll be all right.
    Performance wise, it's not a GeForce, that much is obvious, but as long as you aren'y out to be the king of the hill, then you should be plenty happy enough.

Ian
    Primary System:
    MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
    120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
    Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
    Seccondary System:
    Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
    3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
    Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
    Tertiary system
    Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
    Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

I am in Halifax and I buy some stuff from Robotnik. They are the cheapest in town I find. I didn't know they had the g400 at $178. I usually buy from onvia.com or atic.ca. Atic has such good prices for many things that the cost of shipping becomes insignificant.

Anyway, I currently have a g200 and I will get either a g450 or a g800 when the first one gets out. My g200 is almost good enough for when I play quake, so a g450 will surely be alright. Because I haven't played on faster computers yet, going to a g450 will be awesome for me. Besides except for q3a, I am more into RTS games, so a geforce2 would only be good about 1% of my computer time.

I have had dualhead before. I had to 20 inch monitors with two Millennium II. I didn't care for it much in windows but it was cool under linux. I had one instance of KDE running on each monitor. I eventually sent my monitor back to DIGITAL (compaq) and they gave me a refurbished one, but since I stopped using dualhead at about the same time, I have that monitor sitting in my dining room and I only used it once for about 10 minutes to see if it worked. I don't really have a need for dual head at the moment, so I don't know if I should keep it in case I get a g450 or sell it. Especially if it doesn't come with the plug for the rainbow runner, it won't be as fun. Oh well, back to more wait and see.

Salmonius

Comment

Working...
      X