Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 Haking

Here we go:
    I was thinking about overclocking my G400 memory, when an Idea came to me.
    The things that I have thought to do are:

- Substitute the actual memory with a faster one (and that should not be a problem).
    - Increase the ram quantity by installing memory chip with double capacity than the defaults one.

I already know that the first can be done without problem, but I don't know if the G400 can handle 64 megabyte of memory simply putting it into.
    "Is there anybody out there" who has the answer? Matrox techies??

------------------
    Italian Guy, Bad English

D'ya want an Italian version?

Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

1. Yes, this can be done
    2. No, this would not work
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

If you figure out how to make it use 166 or 183Mhz DDR RAM, and actually get it to work, let me know, as well as where you get the memory chips, hehe. It would be pretty interesting to run the Max as flat-out fast as it will go with no memory blockages of any sort (not that I'm sure there was much of one in the first place) just to see what it'll do.

------------------
      Ace

"..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
      Gainward Ti4600
      AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

POof, another one bites the dust!
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

You couldn't add more memory. You'd have to re-design the addressing hardware. Making a 16MB version 32MB is more likely (but still might not be possible).
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I dont think you could use DDR memory. As far as I know all DDR memory has 'legs' on all 4 sides of the chip, SDR only has 'legs' on 2 sides.

If you could find SDR RAM faster than 200Mhz then you might be in luck (if you have a VERY steady hand for soldering).

I suppose it might be possible to get some cache chips from Intel for their P3 600 classic. That would run at 300mhz, but comes in 256K chips. That would mean you would need 125 chips!

I would suggest waiting for the G450 or G800 and just overclock at the moment.

Ali

Comment

Even if you could solder these nasty chips, are you sure that the new set of memory chips is cheaper (retail) than the new video card with better chips?

No chance to put anything better than 32 MB of "classic" SGRAM on G400 though.

Generally - NOT WORTH THE EFFORT.

Comment

gbm:"Generally - NOT WORTH THE EFFORT."
                I think the same thing, for now.
                But my technical-experimental-foolish purt of me is pushing to create again!!!

And, 'cause I cannto find yet any airplane pieces to do my FS2000 controls, I was thinking about something different...
                Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Working...
                X