G400 and ALI/VIA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 and ALI/VIA?

Hmm... Ok, I had hit this forum a while ago, trying to figure out some issues with my g400 and my Asus p5a. The mobo uses the ALI/VIA north/southbridge, and I remember Gurm (or someone like that) throwing the smack down on another MURCer for trying it. So, Gurm, get out yer boomstick, and have at me, because I'm lookin' to get the most stable config possible with the given hardware. Performance is secondary here, I'm looking for stability, first and foremost.

Beren

I've had a G400/P5A combo for a very long time. It is very stable. In order for us to help you you need to give us more info. If you are just generally looking for stability, make usre you have all of the latest BIOS, drivers, firmware, patches, etc...for all of your hardware/software. There are patches for Windows, /drivers for IDE bus master, AGP drivers, BIOS for your mobo nad vid card, drivers for vid card, firmware for CD-ROM/R/RW's. If you are having a specific problem, let me know, maybe I can help. I have had very few probs over the years with my setup. As a matter of fact, the only two probs I had at the end were shutting down never worked right and Netscape sucked ass with an evil memory leak.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

AHA! A REPLY!

Ok... I'm running 98SE, PD6.0b, latest bios for the board, latest agp (1.68, although I think I need to get the ide and misc other mobo drivers), have shadowing off in BIOS, mem hole 15M-16M off, k6 Write Allocate off, Framebuffer Posted Write off, AGP Turbo mode on (To be honest, I'm not sure what that setting does). I have 128 MB CAS3 PC100 RAM, an Adaptec 2940 (That needs a BIOS upgrade, but I'm leery of doing it to a card that has been working flawlessly for 2 years), a ST159150 HD (seagate 9gb), SB AWE64 Gold, and a Cardinal 56k modem.

I hope that's enough info, but, it most likely isn't, so let me know what else you want...

Comment

OK, but do you have any probs? And what CPU do you have?

Dave

[This message has been edited by Helevitia (edited 25 July 2000).]
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Hmm.. Yes, I do... Kind of.

I've decided to go back to the 5.52 drivers, as the 6.0b's are giving me some *major* texture corruption in Everquest. Liquid walls and such...

Beren

P.S. I have a K6-2 400 not overclocked...

[This message has been edited by beren (edited 25 July 2000).]

Comment

ok, I don't have Everquest so I can't comment on that game, but I can honestly say that I have no texture corruptions in any of tha games I play. The agp turbo mode I think just slightly overclocks that AGP bus, I'd turn it off if you think you have stability issues and you should have Write Allocate set to ON. Sounds like you need to install the latest bus master drive as well. Make sure your vid card isn't sharing IRQ's with anything else.

Dave

Comment

Heh, I'll nab the busmaster drivers asap. Thanks for the advice, I'll switch the write allocate on, as well...

Beren

Comment

Working...
              X